Morocco's Islamists test gains in parliamentary election
Chanting slogans and jokes in local Darija dialect, Moroccan Prime Minister Abdelilah Benkirane knows how to turn on the populist charm as he campaigns for his Islamist party for an election on Friday they seem set to win.
Five years ago, Benkirane's style helped his Justice and Development Party to a sweeping victory after the king gave up some powers to defuse protests for democratic change.
This time, though, the PJD faces a resurgent royal establishment.
Morocco's second parliamentary election is testing a constitutional monarchy where an elected government works with limited powers in... read more
- 15:39 Man City shirt for next season 'revealed'
- 15:37 South Africa's Gordhan to arrive back home on Tuesday morning -...
- 15:37 Music on the metro - Moscow commuters enjoy live performances
- 15:37 Gold coin worth $4 million stolen from Berlin museum
- 15:37 Rise in pupils taking term-time holidays in Sheffield
- 15:37 Cumbria police and crime commissioner launches youth commission group
- 15:37 Controlled burning in Ulverston
- 15:37 South Sudan attack 'could hinder aid deliveries'
- 15:37 Body found in suitcase in Italian port of Rimini
- 15:35 Sheffield young composers join forces with Music in the Round
- 15:35 Same old story as Ashington lose
- 15:35 Nigeria v Burkina Faso friendly cancelled: London fixture off after...
- 15:34 Ex-training partner lifts lid on Georges St-Pierre's return to UFC...
- 15:34 Jail for rapist who broke into woman's house as she slept
- 15:34 Chelsea beat host of Premier League rivals to secure deal for...
- 15:33 Academy backtracks on library ban
- 15:33 Let there be neon light: Tate Britain unveils 'drawing in space'
- 15:31 REVEALED: How to tell if your PC or Mac has been HACKED
- 15:31 London terror attacker ‘drove at 76mph’ as he aimed car at victims...
- 15:31 What will happen after Article 50 is triggered?
- 15:30 Delayed...again - but new hope is on the horizon for an end to A590...
- 15:30 How parents are refusing to let their children play out until THIS age
- 15:30 Mum can't take three-year-old to Coventry park because of burnt out...
- 15:30 Setback for planned bespoke rabbit hotel
- 15:29 Tamworth FC: British Army game is great for Lambs
- 15:29 Why Sandwell College students are building a hovercraft
- 15:29 Coleen Nolan reveals sister Linda's heartbreaking cancer diagnosis
- 15:29 The 14 West Brom transfers under Steve Clarke - what they're doing now
- 15:29 Aston Villa's pursuit of Manchester United's Sam Johnstone: The...
- 15:29 Birmingham Moseley 28 Macclesfield 24: Haisila's double delight...