Morning news headlines: Brexit shock could see balance sheet 'liabilities' hit growth, watchdog warns; Watchdog critical of efforts to clamp down on illegal migrants
BREXIT SHOCK COULD SEE BALANCE SHEET 'LIABILITIES' HIT GROWTH, WATCHDOG WARNS
A major economic shock caused by Brexit could see "significant liabilities" on the Government's balance sheet "crystallise" and hit economic growth, the Whitehall spending watchdog has warned.
The Commons Public Accounts Committee (PAC) said provisions liabilities had increased by 71% and contingent liabilities - possible future financial obligations for the Government - by 85% since 2009-10.
The committee said the Government is increasingly using its credit rating to issue guarantees, and by... read more
- 00:05 Japan: Abe ‘lied’ about bungs to fascist school, says head
- 00:05 Ukraine: Putin critic who fled to Kiev ‘killed by Moscow’
- 00:05 Afghanistan: Taliban fighters take key part of Helmand
- 00:05 44 Scotland Street: Waiting for Godot
- 00:05 Praise for public service heroes’ terror response
- 00:05 State-owned banks turn backs on public
- 00:05 Britain ‘in relegation zone’ for new mums
- 00:03 Campaigners call for Trump rival to rethink Highland course
- 00:03 Chief medical officer calls to improvements in cancer care
- 00:03 Police officer took charge of firearms incident ‘from home’
- 00:02 West Ham manager Slaven Bilic must stop his side's Premier League...
- 00:02 The 50 best young players in European football... Sportsmail...
- 00:01 Rugby league and swimming given £10m lottery grant
- 00:01 Devin Townsend Project
- 00:01 Hidden history revealed
- 00:01 Southgate accepts ‘fairytale’ loss at the hands of Germany
- 00:01 Fallen police officer to be honoured at Charlton
- 00:01 Hamilton: Ferrari are F1 ‘favourites’
- 00:01 The party of the crony capitalists
- 00:01 Osborne’s appointment is a crisis for democracy
- 00:01 Archaeopteryx takes to the skies
- 00:01 Don't Give Way To Hate
- 00:01 Thousands bid farewell to Martin McGuinness
- 00:01 Chile: 33 Pinochet agents jailed for communist deaths
- 00:01 US: Black politicians raise concerns with Trump face-to-face
- 00:01 Faith leaders label outrage ‘a perversion of Islam’
- 00:01 Mini workers plan another demo to save retirements
- 00:01 Contestants finally leave Channel 4’s Eden to discover show has...
- 00:01 Knowledge of family justice rules is ‘patchy’
- 23:56 ALEX BRUMMER: The bell tolls for Co-op Bank - 'the main interest of...