More UK stimulus probably needed 'at some point' - BoE's Shafik
Bank of England Deputy Governor Minouche Shafik said she expected the central bank would need to pump more stimulus into Britain's economy "at some point" as it adjusts to the shock of the vote to leave the European Union.
"There is no doubt in my mind that the UK is experiencing a sizeable economic shock in the wake of the referendum," Shafik said in a speech she was due to make on Wednesday.
The BoE has previously signalled that it was likely to cut interest rates later this year although there have been signs that the British economy did not suffer as big a hit from... read more
- 10:01 Profit warning and apology to customers from group behind Southern...
- 10:01 Blackpool woman’s 20 years’ in business
- 10:01 Doctors' warning: Patients dying because our hospitals are 'jam-full'
- 10:01 Ten of Glasgow’s oldest buildings
- 10:01 Anger as one in six children miss out on secondary school places
- 10:01 How many players has each Premier League team used so far this season?
- 10:01 Pundit: Antonio Conte proved his class with these four expert...
- 10:01 Manolo Gabbiadini: Liverpool want to sign Southampton star next...
- 10:01 Minecraft helped to guide shootout movie Free Fire's set
- 10:01 Talking Horses: Willie Mullins’ Cheltenham team plus Tuesday tips
- 10:01 Parents warned about indecent images sent to children on apps and...
- 10:01 Dogs sniff out illegal cigarettes and tobacco in raids across...
- 10:00 Police appeal for dashcam footage after death of 14-year-old in...
- 10:00 Apprentices get unique chance to work on BBMF
- 10:00 Dawn raids in Cheshire on drugs ring which saw county as an 'easy...
- 09:59 Delays in Burton due to reports of accident
- 09:59 Huge apprenticeship exhibition heading to Sheffield
- 09:59 Police warning after attempted burglary
- 09:59 Man attacked by would-be robbers
- 09:59 Aramco's Malaysia deal gives Saudis upper hand in fight for Asia...
- 09:58 Hugill’s hands-on approach
- 09:58 Wenger rejects multi-million pound offer?
- 09:58 Gillian’s new career takes off
- 09:58 Black Country MP Tom Watson urges Jeremy Corbyn's supporters to...
- 09:58 Worrying levels of alleged home care abuse against elderly and...
- 09:58 Holy Island car park is put on the market
- 09:57 YP Comment: Region’s needs must be heard
- 09:58 Video: What's been handed in as gun and knife amnesty continues...
- 09:57 YP Comment: Veteran MP’s long commitment
- 09:58 Oops-a-daisy, me duck... Leicester loco’s leap day