More than a thousand poverty-stricken Hartlepool children could miss out on free school meals under Universal Credit proposals
More than a thousand children living in poverty in Hartlepool will miss out on free school meals under universal credit proposals.
A study from The Children’s Society estimates that 2,900 schoolchildren in the town live in poverty and that 1,100 of these would end up missing out on free meals under the changes.
The fact that over a quarter of children in Hartlepool are living in poverty is nothing short of a scandal and a damning indictment of the Government’s low wage, low economy austerity driven agenda Mike Hill MP Families in receipt of universal credit have been automatically entitled... read more
- 19:23 Ex-soldier who shot man dead in Northern Ireland faces prosecution
- 19:23 Hungary steps up anti-immigration stance with plans for NGO tax
- 19:22 Football fan celebrates England win by jumping into the boot of a...
- 19:21 Why does Prince William support Aston Villa? This is the reason
- 19:20 Council say Doncaster's declining markets could be "best in North"...
- 19:19 Colne commemorates its fallen soldiers
- 19:15 Liverpool star Mohamed Salah is NOT world class: Egypt hero slammed...
- 19:15 Couple filmed joining mile high club on trip to Mexico
- 19:13 Bakers of Lincolnshire... Marie Curie ‘kneads’ your support!
- 19:10 Bakers of Lincolnshire... Marie Curie ‘kneads’ your support!
- 19:10 England's late World Cup win sparks scenes of celebration across...
- 19:10 Andy Murray loses on return after Nick Kyrgios comeback at Queen’s...
- 19:08 'You will be responsible': a mother's warning is unheeded on Nauru
- 19:08 'Pushing for civil war': fears riots could turn into widespread...
- 19:06 Birmingham clean air zone reaction: 'it is unimaginative and should...
- 19:06 Teenage boxing fan died after being knifed in neck after brawl,...
- 19:03 Brave moment boy, 13, saves teenager from drowning
- 19:02 Serial rapist "got kicks from being violent to - and dominating -...
- 19:02 Club promoter spared jail despite killing schoolboy with single punch
- 19:02 Sheffield lap dancer comes to the defence of Spearmint Rhino
- 19:00 Ed Sheeran donates Lego head to local charity shop
- 18:59 Nick Kyrgios reveals what Andy Murray said to him after Queen’s defeat
- 18:55 Ant McPartlin and Lisa Armstrong 'wrangle over wedding rings as she...
- 18:53 Northants spinner White opts to retire from red-ball cricket
- 18:52 Video: ‘You call me Mr President’, Macron tells teen
- 18:52 Hammond 'ordered NHS chief to back health funding plan'
- 18:48 Prolific thief jailed after breaching north Cumbria shop ban
- 18:48 Man ‘made girl, 4, do plank exercise then killed her by snapping...
- 18:47 Lake District chef through to finals of top cooking competition
- 18:47 Hull care home fined £4,000 for failing to do this simple task