More than 50% of Derby babies are born out of wedlock, new figures show - but does it matter?
It was once a stigma that families hid as a shameful secret – a baby born out of wedlock. But new figures show that now more than half of newborns in Derby have parents who are not married.
Rev Tim Sumpter, vicar of Ockbrook with Borrowash, believes "marriage signals to children their parents are aiming for something special, even though the bench-mark is high".
But unmarried mother-of-four Kelly Walker, 35, of Ripley, said: "It can make you feel much more pressured and then there's the cost of the wedding."
And a university expert believes that a decline in religious... read more
- 13:22 SO Fest performances in Horncastle relocate to Stanhope Hall due to...
- 13:21 Hillsborough: What the six defendants are accused of
- 13:20 Rare bee-eater birds seen at Nottinghamshire sand quarry
- 13:20 Mileposts project nears completion
- 13:20 Tributes paid to 17-year-old girl 'angel' Saffron Pickering
- 13:20 Appeal to find teen last seen outside Nottinghamshire supermarket
- 13:20 Get your free Herald bottle of water at Stratford River Festival
- 13:20 PICTURE: Cute little kestrel chicks are laid at Conisbrough Castle
- 13:20 Manchester United forward Anthony Martial responds to Old Trafford...
- 13:19 Three-year sentence for spice dealer given a second chance
- 13:19 Michael Bond, creator of Paddington bear, dies at 91
- 13:19 Debris causes delays
- 13:19 Fun event assault and theft probe by police
- 13:19 Ramadan event helps victims of terror outrage
- 13:19 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:19 Popular Paul to get public send-off
- 13:19 First birthday joy for miracle twin sisters
- 13:19 Manic episode 'caused killing'
- 13:19 Death of a horse whisperer at 70
- 13:19 Next stop... price hikes
- 13:19 Five ways to protect yourself from ID fraud - and 5 things to do it...
- 13:18 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:18 Reported West Brom transfer target wants to fight for place at Man...
- 13:18 Drug addict tried to swindle his own mum by pretending to be kidnapped
- 13:18 Transfer rumour: Aston Villa target to join Championship rivals
- 13:18 Delayed by the Edinburgh airport power outage? Find out if you can...
- 13:18 Former West Yorkshire chief Norman Bettison charged over alleged...
- 13:18 Chelsea Transfer News LIVE updates: Worrying Courtois update,...
- 13:18 Oldco Rangers set to discover 'big tax case' fate next week
- 13:18 Are you allowed to sunbathe naked in your own garden?