More than 300 wild mammal species are in peril after being 'consumed to extinction' by humans using them for meat, ornaments and medicine
Hundreds of wild mammal species are being 'consumed to extinction' by humans using them for meat, ornaments, medicinal products and the pet trade, say scientists.
Hunting and trapping is said to be driving a global crisis that threatens the future of 301 species ranging from monkeys to bats.
Their decline is having a significant environmental impact and undermining the food security of millions of people in Asia, Africa and South America, according to a global assessment by experts.
The authors sounded the warning after analysing data from the International Union for the Conservation of... read more
- 08:36 Roasting and frying stachy foods could increase cancer risk, warns...
- 08:36 Vodafone roll out 4G in another pocket of Cumbria
- 08:35 Where is BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2017 being held?
- 08:35 Hull City news and rumours LIVE - Ryan Mason updates and Tigers...
- 08:35 Aston Villa: Tony Xia brilliantly trolls transfer-hungry fans
- 08:34 Father pictured risking child’s life by walking on frozen lake
- 08:33 DR MAX THE MIND DOCTOR: Why anorexia has no respect for age
- 08:33 HEALTH NOTES: I'm knocked out by boxercise, says Julia Bradbury
- 08:33 Poulton couple saved from 'nasty and toxic' blaze by fire doors
- 08:33 E-cigarettes are getting non-smoking teens hooked on nicotine:...
- 08:32 Super snowdrop show
- 08:32 Record-breaking year for outlet
- 08:31 On the move: Latest appointments and promotions
- 08:31 ‘The world is watching’ US spies claim Trump’s ties to Russia could...
- 08:30 Pundit: This is impressing me most about Chelsea under Antonio Conte
- 08:30 European shares weighed down by banks, Essentra warning; Generali...
- 08:30 Australia police probe firearms death during making of hip hop video
- 08:30 Woman, 93, died after choking on her lunch despite efforts of care...
- 08:30 Watch as emotional crowd sees mum have head shaved for cancer charity
- 08:27 Parking on Barrow Island: Is it a problem?
- 08:27 Man jailed after breaching restraining order in Barrow four times
- 08:28 Sunderland and Newcastle United fans come together to support brave...
- 08:27 Wardens called in to Ulverston to catch dog poo criminals in the act
- 08:28 Missing South Yorkshire teenager found safe and well
- 08:27 'Supply drugs and we will catch you'
- 08:27 Council tax bills in South Lakeland set to increase by £5
- 08:27 Dalton pupils nearing fundraising total to pay for once in a...
- 08:27 PM faces increasing demand for answers over failed Trident test
- 08:27 Barrow MP visits front line NHS staff battling the ongoing winter...
- 08:27 Air ambulance lands at Matlock Town FC after supporter collapsed