More menopause misery: Women who suffer with hot flushes are more likely to have depression
Hot flushes don't just keep women awake at night, they could also trigger depression, doctors believe.
The most common and most distressing symptom of the menopause, hot flushes can disturb sleep, drain energy and cause embarrassment.
A single flush can last from a few seconds to a whole hour.
HRT is the main treatment, but is isn't suitable for all and many of those who could take it are put off by fears it triggers breast cancer.
To look at the effect of hot flushes on mood, US researchers gave 29 young women pills that plunged them into a temporary menopause.
Daytime hot flushes had no... read more
- 16:10 Anthony Joshua mocks Dereck Chisora's WWE-style behavior after he...
- 16:10 Barcelona president confirms Luis Suarez will be offered a new deal...
- 16:10 Everton boss Ronald Koeman admits club's need to strengthen in...
- 16:09 Police stress Operation Yeehaw sends "clear message" to Harrogate...
- 16:09 Sanchez to Chelsea? How the Arsenal star is already outperforming...
- 16:08 Pervert caught after asking ‘girl’, 13, to put hands in his boxers
- 16:08 Antonio Conte: I am really excited by this opportunity at Chelsea
- 16:08 Here’s what to do if you suspect someone is suffering from loneliness
- 16:08 Arsenal legend: This how Stoke will cause Gunners problems on Saturday
- 16:07 SPCA officers killed snake mistaken for green mamba in freezer
- 16:07 Cumbria police charge two with manslaughter
- 16:07 Power station plan could be 'damaging' to Lake District National...
- 16:07 Battle against junk food- will banning ads really work?
- 16:07 Barrow school gets community into the Christmas spirit
- 16:07 UK power capacity auction for 2020/21 clears in 20-25 pounds...
- 16:06 School lends a hand to Fr Christmas
- 16:05 The Great British Gin Take Off: Record-breaking year sees Britons...
- 16:05 Yields rise as ECB trims bond purchases; Wall Street steady
- 16:05 Manchester United's European tour: The Red Devils visit their 98th...
- 16:04 Nate Diaz: If Conor McGregor is taking 10 months off, so am I!
- 16:04 Union leader Mark Serwotka's heart transplant 'a success'
- 16:04 BREAKING NEWS: Toy shop arsonist, 15, sent to detention for 30 months
- 16:03 Why having high levels of a 'harmless' bacteria in your uterus...
- 16:03 Revealed: Time frame for demolition of Hull's former Western...
- 16:03 Driver's lucky escape after car overturns in Calvert Road, Hull
- 16:02 Minecraft blocks used to make virtual Atari 2600 console
- 16:01 You won't believe what Dana White once said about Ronda Rousey...
- 16:01 New York deli owner from Keswick badly injured in motorbike crash
- 16:01 Memorial fundraiser in aid of Eden Valley Hospice
- 16:01 Policeman filmed repeatedly punching suspect while three others...