More cash needed to prevent repeat of Boxing Day floods
Steve Benson More cash is needed to prevent a repeat of the Boxing Day floods that devastated West Yorkshire, a review has concluded.
More than 7,000 properties were affected by the floods last December, causing an estimated £365m in damage.
Kirklees escaped the worst but Mirfield was heavily hit as the River Calder rose to record levels following two storms.
Calderdale bore the brunt of the deluge with Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd badly flooded and Elland bridge damaged beyond repair. Leeds was also hit with the River Aire bursting its banks in Kirkstall.
A flood review by the West... read more
- 11:37 Community forks out for Greenodd chippy charity fundraiser
- 11:37 Your nose knows best in battle against food waste
- 11:37 Milkman Les bucking the trend with successful south Cumbria...
- 11:37 Jeremy Corbyn concedes some blame for Labour's by-election defeat...
- 11:37 Nine epic fails from awards ceremonies and TV contests
- 11:37 Barrow mum flying high in her campaign to create autism-friendly...
- 11:37 There's a seat with your name on it as Millom theatre stages...
- 11:37 Juggling Barrow pupils prove they're a class act
- 11:37 Former Copeland MP Jamie Reed reassures Labour voters that 'our...
- 11:37 Diesel scrappage scheme - How much will it actually cost to own an...
- 11:37 More action needed on workplace discrimination - Barrow disability...
- 11:36 Matt Le Tissier hits out at Man United: They get better treatment...
- 11:36 Juan Mata: My message to Man United fans after EFL Cup final win
- 11:36 Live: Britain's Got Talent star on trial over alleged child neglect
- 11:36 Iconic Nokia 3310 officially relaunched: Everything you need to know
- 11:36 Severe weather warning for ice issued across Nottinghamshire
- 11:36 JOHN DILLEY’S WWI BLOG: All quiet on the Western Front in this...
- 11:35 Iconic Nokia 3310 officially relaunched: Everything you need to know
- 11:35 Toddler and adult rescued from first-floor window after supected...
- 11:34 European shares rise led by Intesa but LSE, Deutsche Boerse weigh
- 11:34 Footage captures moment skilled pilot battles high winds at...
- 11:34 Aira Force road shut for repairs
- 11:34 Upstart analysts show banks the way in new era for research
- 11:34 Crystal Palace fans accidentally vandalise their own team bus in...
- 11:34 Sheep rescued from floodwater near Shrewsbury
- 11:34 Burton Albion ladies rescue a point at St George's Park
- 11:34 Speed cameras are based on these 22 Derbyshire roads
- 11:34 Crash update: Serious accident closes Colne Road in Burnley
- 11:34 WEATHER: Difficult driving conditions as Met Office issues ice...
- 11:34 The bill: Band and MP join in row over Ritzes in Brighouse and London