Monkeys make 'tools' in a similar way to our ancestors: Discovery raises doubts over human archaeological record
Wild monkeys have been seen deliberately breaking flakes off stones in much the same way as prehistoric humans.
While our ancestors realised the flakes could be used as scraping and cutting implements, it seems the monkeys were attempting to extract minerals.
But the discovery could shed light on how early humans and their forbears first hit on the secret to making stone tools.
It also raises the possibility that some of the ancient tools attributed to human ancestors were created by monkeys.
MONKEYS' BEHAVIOUR The bearded capuchins were studied at Serra da Capivara National Park in... read more
- 04:21 China urges U.S. to conduct fair probe into aluminium foil imports
- 04:20 Superstar: I'm in talks with Manchester United
- 04:18 Tottenham confident of summer deal for Liverpool target: Source...
- 04:12 UFC News: McGregor on Diaz trilogy fight, Bisping gives St-Pierre...
- 04:09 Manchester United ace to play key part in convincing star to snub...
- 04:03 Brazil 3-0 Paraguay: Neymar, Marcelo and Philippe Coutinho on the...
- 04:02 Floyd Mayweather admits he respects Conor McGregor's confidence...
- 04:01 Former Mexican ruling party governor wanted over embezzlement
- 03:54 Nintendo Switch games list UPDATE: Psyonix talk Rocket League plans...
- 03:53 Man quizzed over death of British woman at Australian strip club
- 03:51 Nikkei edges down in choppy trade as ex-dividend adjustment weighs
- 03:51 China says Taiwan man being investigated for endangering state
- 03:45 Asia stocks gains with dollar, sterling hit by Brexit woes
- 03:29 Vote to repeal U.S. broadband privacy rules sparks interest in VPNs
- 03:28 Emmerdale spoiler: Laurel set to spiral back into alcoholism after...
- 03:24 Video: Philippe Coutinho scores stunning goal for Brazil vs Paraguay
- 03:17 World War 3? Kim Jong-un may be in 'FINAL STAGES' of preparing for...
- 03:15 Samsung prepares to unveil new flagship smartphone
- 03:15 Mark Duggan family to learn result of inquest verdict challenge
- 03:15 Royal tour of Europe coincides with triggering of Article 50
- 03:07 Oil rises on Libyan supply disruptions, likely OPEC output cut...
- 03:06 Chelsea plan £300,000-a-week contract offer for Eden Hazard
- 02:58 SK Hynix in talks with Japanese investors for joint Toshiba chip...
- 02:49 President Donald Trump's seven most shocking views
- 02:42 China loses most of WTO poultry challenge, scores small win over EU
- 02:42 Volkswagen supervisory board backs Stadler, top managers
- 02:40 Tottenham ‘confident’ they have beaten Chelsea in race for...
- 02:28 PARIS IN FLAMES: Protests continue for second night after police...
- 02:23 Paraguay Congress wrestles again with presidential re-election law
- 02:11 Heartbroken Katie Waissel claims estranged husband has been...