Money CAN buy you happiness: The more cash we have, the more content we are, say researchers
Drawing from an array of data from 126 countries, the report is published today to coincide with "Blue Monday", which has been identified as the most miserable day of the year because of factors including weather, time of year and debt levels.
Its most controversial finding contradicts the widely-held belief that above a certain income level, people do not become any happier.
The theory, conceived in 1974 by wellbeing expert Richard Easterlin, claimed that happiness stagnates when income rises beyond a certain level.
And two years ago, a study at Princeton University claimed to... read more
- 09:34 Eric Dier to Man Utd: Pochettino reveals all and blames Mourinho...
- 09:32 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admits retiring from football is...
- 09:32 Priscilla Presley quits Scientology after nearly four decades
- 09:32 Paloma Faith reveals she is raising her child to be gender neutral
- 09:31 Woman, 23, arrested as baby dies after fall from sixth-floor window
- 09:31 Gerard Deulofeu insists there was 'no problem' with controversial...
- 09:31 Marc Marquez moves within touching distance of fourth MotoGP world...
- 09:31 Justin Thomas secures £1.26m PGA Tour prize after beating Marc...
- 09:30 Boy with Down’s Syndrome is the new star of River Island’s kids’ range
- 09:28 Charity night tickets selling
- 09:28 Responding to concerns
- 09:28 Derby County defender should have been sent off, says Sheffield...
- 09:26 Woman, 23, arrested as baby dies after fall from sixth-floor window
- 09:25 Fabian Delph makes a big prediction about Man City teammate Sergio...
- 09:21 5 houses in Hull which cost less than £55,000 and just need some TLC
- 09:21 Man trapped in serious crash which has closed the A165
- 09:20 Carlisle teenager named as one of world's best young poets
- 09:19 Poorly puppy owner tries to raise £3,000 for treatment
- 09:19 GALLERY; ‘Core’ blimey - apple event near Skegness attracts 850
- 09:18 PCSO whose heart stopped has emotional reunion with medics who...
- 09:18 North East news LIVE: Major delays on the Metro network due to...
- 09:18 Stephen Robinson: Grab your chance to beat Rangers and reach League...
- 09:16 Journey from pit to paint factory
- 09:16 Two lanes closed on M1 due to overturned van
- 09:16 27-year-old man is in intensive care after hit-and-run
- 09:11 Paul Robinson: Louth Cattle Market is part of a ‘complicated jigsaw’
- 09:11 Woman tracks down her missing cat after uploading its photo to Tinder
- 09:10 Away form is blighting Birmingham City - five things we learned...
- 09:08 No slide tackles and no shouting from sidelines - 12 new youth...
- 09:07 Italy referendums: Lombardy and Veneto vote on greater autonomy