Monetary policy shift announcement expected in Autumn Statement
A major change in economic policy away from quantitative easing is expected to be announced in the Autumn Statement, with Theresa May having criticised its "bad side effects".
The Prime Minister is said to be backing a move away from monetary policy like quantitative easing and low interest rates towards more fiscal measures, such as tax and spending.
Reports on BBC Newsnight suggest the policy could be unveiled as early as the Autumn Statement.
This was seemingly confirmed by Tory MP George Freeman, chairman of the Prime Minister's policy board.
Mr Freeman told Newsnight:... read more
- 14:40 Crackin' idea! A Scotch egg wrapped in Christmas pudding on sale in...
- 14:38 Conor McGregor splashes £625 on Gucci sneakers as UFC superstar...
- 14:38 Manchester City players wrap up as they train in the fog ahead of...
- 14:38 Carabao Cup semi-final draw to take place on Wednesday after series...
- 14:38 Water supply restored to homes in Walney street
- 14:37 Anthony Joshua provides update on negotiations over next fight
- 14:37 Storm Dylan 'to bring high winds and heavy rain' over Christmas
- 14:37 Police are 'extremely concerned' for the safety of missing Hull man...
- 14:36 Mansfield man armed himself with kitchen knives to frighten ex
- 14:36 Warsop drink driver hit oncoming car
- 14:36 Sutton man faces cocaine and cannabis dealing charges
- 14:36 Mansfield man tried to get arrested to escape “attackers”
- 14:36 Get Leicestershire breaking news updates - direct to your phone
- 14:35 The top five web browser Christmas games
- 14:35 'Security incident' at RAF base in Suffolk
- 14:35 ‘What’s the point of staying at Arsenal?’ Mesut Ozil and Alexis...
- 14:34 Cumbria murderer 'was victim of miscarriage of justice'
- 14:34 Arsenal vs West Ham: Arsene Wenger issues Ramsey, Mustafi and...
- 14:34 RAF base on lockdown over ‘significant’ security incident
- 14:34 Manchester United sent Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford message...
- 14:33 Kettering rock pub re-opens under new management
- 14:31 Queensferry Crossing speed limit will increase from tomorrow
- 14:31 Backlash against jungle queen Toff as she rants about ‘bloody...
- 14:30 CCTV released in complex Skegness fraud case that targeted elderly
- 14:30 Parents killed in Haydock crash which injured their children named...
- 14:29 Mother drove at group of teenagers because her son was being bullied
- 14:28 How MONEY affects your happiness: Rich people are only content when...
- 14:28 Former BBC Sports Personality of the Year nominee Luke Donald...
- 14:28 Police appeal after collision between car and cyclist in Spalding
- 14:28 England can't keep arriving at a gunfight with an air rifle...