Monarch boss urges the government to lift travel ban on flights between the UK and Sharm el-Sheikh following the airline’s £165million cash injection
Monarch's chief executive has called for flights to resume between the UK and Sharm el-Sheikh.
The airline announced on Wednesday that it had secured a £165million cash injection from its owner, allowing the carrier to retain its licence to operate.
Andrew Swaffield said the company's recent struggles began when flights to the Egyptian Red Sea resort were suspended by the government due to security fears, following the suspected terrorist bombing of a Russian airliner in October last year.
He told delegates at the annual convention of UK travel organisation Abta in Abu Dhabi that he... read more
- 06:13 Pogba, Sanchez, Hazard... The Premier League's most valuable XI
- 06:13 Manchester United defender Luke Shaw handed timely boost
- 06:13 Man City star John Stones is a symbol of progress in English football
- 06:13 London terrorist attack - Derby MPs pay tribute to police officer...
- 06:13 Huge vessel’s visit captured by college art teacher
- 06:13 Hartlepool schoolboy Alfie Smith completes his first physio session
- 06:13 Hundreds gather to say ‘goodbye’ to Hartlepool youngster Ethan Owens
- 06:13 Fly-tipping increase fears
- 06:13 Hartlepool United’s Kieran Green joins Gateshead, Adam Bartlett...
- 06:11 Leeds school to close for day following Ofsted inspection
- 06:11 Leeds planners ‘must do more to encourage house building’
- 06:11 Police follow up new leads in hunt for 1994 killers of Tracey Mertens
- 06:10 How the front pages of newspapers are reporting the London...
- 06:10 Key quotes and tributes in the aftermath of London terror attack
- 06:10 CBeebies stars heading to Wellingborough for premiere of new stage...
- 06:10 Kettering couple can’t wait for first Mother’s Day after 12 years...
- 06:10 Funding row leads to fears over future of Corby Urgent Care Centre
- 06:09 Leader comment: Britain’s police need to routinely carry guns
- 06:09 Leader comment: Time for change on GM crops
- 06:09 Hundreds of Scottish headteachers to get ‘leadership training’
- 06:09 ‘A joke’: Yorkshire chief blasts Lord’s over prize money in cricket
- 06:09 Lack of Scottish Government staff could be hurdle to new powers
- 06:09 Tom Peterkin: Attacks on London put Scottish politics into perspective
- 06:08 Sheriff slams thugs who posted smirking selfies on Facebook during...
- 06:08 Hunting shooters of gangland figures Euan Johnston and Robert...
- 06:08 'He was entirely wrong' Single punch killer attacked victim because...
- 06:08 Embezzler boss who stole £35,000 from employees hid cash in OAP...
- 06:08 Real Madrid make contact with Barcelona midfielder’s family: Zidane...
- 06:08 Primary school kids banned from drinking fruit juice over sugar...
- 06:08 'It just keeps on going' OAP's bathroom lightbulb has lasted for at...