Monarch boss goes AWOL at event in Abu Dhabi, just one day before the airline finds out if it can keep on flying
The boss of Monarch has pulled out of a public speaking engagement, just one day before the budget airline's operating licence is due to expire.
Andrew Swaffield, Monarch's chief executive, was scheduled to talk about the impact of Brexit at the annual convention of Abta - the UK travel trade association - but the audience at the Yas Viceroy hotel in Abu Dhabi was told that he could no longer attend as he has had 'a very busy couple of weeks'.
An official spokesman for Monarch said Mr Swaffield missed the event in the Middle East as he had 'business to attend to in the UK'.
Last month... read more
- 11:40 MP visits building society branch in Northampton town centre
- 11:40 Eye-witness to Northampton caravan blaze says he saw “purple...
- 11:39 New restaurant planned for Parr Street in Liverpool city centre
- 11:39 Get into the spirit of Halloween with local events
- 11:39 Step inside the Norris Green home that’s been turned into a haunted...
- 11:38 Man airlifted to hospital with head injury after fall in Rushden
- 11:38 Find out how many takeaways have taken over your high street
- 11:37 What will the weather be like for October half term?
- 11:37 Manchester United 'must remain mentally strong and keep going',...
- 11:37 Boy of 13 'drove BMW into a tree'
- 11:37 Arsenal stars enjoy jungle themed birthday celebrations following...
- 11:37 Party promising to overturn Brexit would beat Labour and UKIP in a...
- 11:37 Can YOU spot them all? Fiendishly tricky brainteaser contains 60...
- 11:37 Is the internet becoming unreadable? Trend for light fonts on dark...
- 11:37 Your dog probably dreams about you: Sleeping pooches think lovingly...
- 11:37 How do you treat very young sexual offenders?
- 11:36 Syrian refugees found working in factories supplying UK retailers
- 11:35 Are these the worst views in Britain?
- 11:35 South Cumbria youngsters given a lesson in life saving
- 11:35 Green-fingered Barrow youngsters grow pumpkin patch in school garden
- 11:35 11 ‘micro-crimes’ you’ve probably committed
- 11:34 Kelechi Iheanacho calls for 'focus' in order to improve Manchester...
- 11:34 By (St) George! This one's close to home...
- 11:34 Chelsea can win Premier League title, says Pedro
- 11:34 Where are the best places in Leicestershire to enjoy an autumnal walk?
- 11:33 Concern growing for missing Bourne teenager
- 11:32 Tracker allows drivers to check roads have been gritted
- 11:31 Drivers sent message from pupils and police
- 11:31 Heading a ball can cause significant changes in brain function
- 11:31 Five people die after a plane crashes in Malta International Airport