Moldova 1-3 Republic of Ireland: James McClean scores twice as Martin O'Neill's side move joint top of 2018 World Cup qualifying Group D with Serbia
They won't quite be scoping hotels for Russia but this felt like a significant night in Ireland's quest to reach a first World Cup in 16 years.
Two-goal James McClean came to their rescue to ensure that an earlier favour from Georgia in Cardiff did not go to waste.
Martin O'Neill was clearly cheered by news of Wales being held to a draw when interviewed before the game.
And his side needed just 116 seconds to shoot to the top of Group D when Shane Long brought expiry to an 18-game goal drought for club and country.
Given that Moldova had not scored here in Chisinau for exactly a year, the... read more
- 10:35 Firefighters tackle blaze at Lake District hotel
- 10:35 Burghley Park Cricket Club needs a new groundsman for 2017 season
- 10:33 BMA urges helpline for patients addicted to prescription drugs
- 10:32 Thousands of tree packs available to Grantham schools and community...
- 10:30 BMA urges helpline for patients addicted to prescription drugs
- 10:28 Jose Mourinho admits 'special one' status dependent on Manchester...
- 10:28 Bus thief jailed after leaving three-mile trail of destruction
- 10:27 PHOTO GALLERY: Day ap-peals to all as hundreds head to Gunby
- 10:24 X Factor host Dermot O'Leary lends support to campaign to find...
- 10:24 Justin Thomas overturns four-shot deficit to successfully defend...
- 10:23 St Mary's Creative Space in Chester unveil next two shows at city...
- 10:23 Cadets chosen to work alongside Lord Lieutenant of Rutland
- 10:23 Reformer Club of the Week: Kihonkai Karate Club
- 10:22 Liverpool University chief says city MUST stay open to...
- 10:19 Tumble dryer caused Eckington blaze
- 10:19 Why you think Derbyshire café Tyme Coffee Lounge was right about...
- 10:18 Second independence referendum unlikely 'any time soon', says...
- 10:18 Ukip leadership: Shrewsbury's Suzanne Evans announces bid to...
- 10:18 Spain's Socialists seen clearing the way for end to political deadlock
- 10:17 US election: Clinton says she will focus on issues, not Trump
- 10:17 Watch historical Sneinton change through the ages
- 10:17 23 more people who have been dodging tram fares
- 10:16 Police get six more days to question Tube package arrest man
- 10:16 Morris returns to sink Rangers with hat-trick
- 10:16 Star fears for his Man United future as Jose Mourinho eyes...
- 10:14 COLUMN: It’s time to address your cyber security
- 10:14 Second independence referendum unlikely 'any time soon', says...
- 10:13 Police release images of 12 suspects in Scottish Cup final...
- 10:12 Watch: Take a look around this classy penthouse apartment
- 10:11 Plant nursery could become 37 new homes