Mobile phone-sized device could transform stroke patients' lives
A new electronic device the size of a mobile phone could transform aftercare for stroke patients and help them regain movement and control of their hands. The small bit of kit, which is being tested in medical trials, delivers a series of weak electrical shocks followed by an audible click to strengthen brain and spinal connections.
Developed by neuroscientists at Newcastle University, it is thought this could revolutionise treatment for patients by providing a wearable solution to the effects of stroke.
Stuart Baker, Professor of Movement Neuroscience, said: "We have developed a... read more
- 20:19 Middlesbrough judge tells beggar jail 'may save your life'
- 20:17 Get souped up at Howlands evening
- 20:15 Nine teenage hikers killed in Israel flash floods
- 20:12 Bercow should stand down before next election, Boothroyd hints
- 20:09 Zika virus could be a CURE for brain cancers that kill children,...
- 20:09 Why 'little and often' exercise is so good for you: Daily workouts...
- 20:05 Teenager screams ‘I’m Jesus’ when he is arrested for leading cops...
- 20:04 Theft probe GP found dead with girlfriend in Cape Verde
- 20:00 Avicii's family say DJ 'could not go on any longer'
- 19:59 Family of DJ Avicii say ‘he could not go on any longer’
- 19:59 Bill Cosby found guilty of sexual assault
- 19:57 Eoin Morgan not daring to dream of World Cup glory despite...
- 19:57 FA’s proposed sale of Wembley to Shahid Khan is a sign of the times
- 19:56 Arsene Wenger explains why David Ospina starts for Arsenal against...
- 19:54 Cancer researchers claim 'extraordinary results' using T-cell therapy
- 19:52 Home Office ditches targets for removing immigrants from UK
- 19:52 'Our standards should be higher' - Wolves fans react to £20m...
- 19:52 Leader comment: Preparing a best of British welcome for Mr Trump
- 19:52 Saido Berahino's problems increase at Stoke City - here's Paul...
- 19:48 'Alfie Evans has a right to life' - Protesters gather at Leicester...
- 19:46 Fans claim Avicii’s team ‘has blood on their hands’ as family...
- 19:45 TSB rift with Spanish owner emerges as IT crisis drags on
- 19:44 Alfie Evans' parents urge supporters to stand down as they prepare...
- 19:44 High street gloom: What are your redundancy rights?
- 19:41 Aldi branded 'ruthless' over compensation offer in planning battle
- 19:39 Russell Brand cancels Aberdeen stand-up show
- 19:37 Canada data firm AIQ may face legal action in UK
- 19:35 Russia says its witnesses discredit alleged chemical attack in Syria
- 19:35 Israel flash flood: Nine teenaged hikers dead in south
- 19:35 Container fire at Chorley village