Mobile phone-sized device could transform stroke patients' lives
A new electronic device the size of a mobile phone could transform aftercare for stroke patients and help them regain movement and control of their hands. The small bit of kit, which is being tested in medical trials, delivers a series of weak electrical shocks followed by an audible click to strengthen brain and spinal connections.
Developed by neuroscientists at Newcastle University, it is thought this could revolutionise treatment for patients by providing a wearable solution to the effects of stroke.
Stuart Baker, Professor of Movement Neuroscience, said: "We have developed a... read more
- 11:36 Armed robbery at Sheffield petrol station
- 11:36 BREAKING: Six individuals to face charges over Hillsborough disaster
- 11:36 Ex-police officer David Duckenfield charged with manslaughter and...
- 11:36 Two arrested in South Shields in computer software service fraud probe
- 11:36 Emergency vehicles sent to reports of a fire at Caythorpe recycling...
- 11:36 BREAKING: M1 closed in both directions in South Yorkshire due to...
- 11:35 Safety of Harrogate District's residential properties reviewed...
- 11:35 Ex police chief charged with manslaughter over Hillsborough Disaster
- 11:35 Faecal bacteria discovered in ice at three coffee chains, BBC's...
- 11:35 Sign up to take part in this year's Tour de Furness fundraiser
- 11:35 How to stay safe in wake of new global cyber attack
- 11:34 BREAKING: M1 closed in both directions in South Yorkshire due to...
- 11:34 BREAKING: Six individuals to face charges over Hillsborough disaster
- 11:34 Hartlepool United severs all ties with JPNG and Gary Coxall in...
- 11:34 Paramedics ride NARROWBOAT as they rush to help patient
- 11:34 Hillsborough criminal charges to be brought
- 11:34 Man dies after being struck by car in Leamington
- 11:34 What will the ATMs of the near future look like?
- 11:34 Britain is leaving the EU, but should Brexit-hit investors go the...
- 11:33 Warning over Tesco voucher scam as thousands fall for crafty hoax
- 11:32 More than 400 properties empty in the Harborough district
- 11:32 It’s a Knockout fun day for inspirational Amelie
- 11:31 Family’s lucky escape as overturning car demolishes wall at...
- 11:31 Paedophile breached order by talking to boy, nine, in Chorley
- 11:31 Firefighters battle house blaze in Hartlepool
- 11:30 David Duckenfield and Norman Bettison among six people charged over...
- 11:29 Eyeing election, Russia's Putin stages visit to voter's rundown home
- 11:29 Liverpool pre-season tour: Fixtures, teams, dates, stadiums revealed
- 11:29 ‘Man Utd have signed Ethan Galbraith’: Irish FA make announcement...
- 11:29 Government invests £340,000 to remodel Harrogate A&E department