Mobile phone-sized device could transform stroke patients' lives
A new electronic device the size of a mobile phone could transform aftercare for stroke patients and help them regain movement and control of their hands. The small bit of kit, which is being tested in medical trials, delivers a series of weak electrical shocks followed by an audible click to strengthen brain and spinal connections.
Developed by neuroscientists at Newcastle University, it is thought this could revolutionise treatment for patients by providing a wearable solution to the effects of stroke.
Stuart Baker, Professor of Movement Neuroscience, said: "We have developed a... read more
- 10:59 War veteran to receive fitting send-off after public appeal
- 10:59 Strictly Mone Dancing as Baroness Michelle turns down £350k CBB...
- 10:59 Justin Timberlake to headline Super Bowl halftime show 14 years...
- 10:59 Two taken to hospital after car crash
- 10:58 Egypt disputes reported death toll from desert shoot-out
- 10:58 Motorcyclist suffers leg break after Kingstanding crash
- 10:58 Thirty firefighters tackle 1.15am blaze in Edward Road, Balsall Heath
- 10:57 Gunpowder review: 'Explosive stuff, but sometimes too nasty to watch'
- 10:57 Have you seen missing Sarah?
- 10:57 Sheffield staff help raise £40,000 for children’s hospital extension
- 10:57 Dry and mild with patchy rain
- 10:57 Sheffield Wednesday news: Carlton Palmer demands Carlos Carvalhal...
- 10:56 PICTURES: Redbrik Chesterfield Half Marathon 2017
- 10:56 Thirteen more storms set to hit Britain this winter
- 10:56 North East Chemists chain sold to Milton Keynes firm
- 10:55 Bank of America Merrill Lynch fined £35m by UK watchdog
- 10:55 Fylde coast bank staff in charity drive
- 10:55 Thousands call for use of metal detectors at Liverpool clubs after...
- 10:55 ‘Anxious’ Theresa May begged Jean-Claude Juncker for help at Brexit...
- 10:54 Police receive reports from residents 'terrorised' by hissing...
- 10:53 Thirteen more storms set to hit Britain this winter
- 10:53 North East Chemists chain sold to Milton Keynes firm
- 10:53 Neymar says his controversial red card for PSG was unfair
- 10:53 Typhoon Lan video: HUGE waves batter Japan as deadly storm leaves...
- 10:53 Private hospital operator Spire Healthcare rejects £1billion...
- 10:53 George Clooney desperate for ‘women to feel safe’ as he urges a...
- 10:53 Shane Richie teases that shock EastEnders affair that was planned...
- 10:52 Plan reflects Blackpool club’s changing fortunes
- 10:52 Fylde MP wants spring start for new link road
- 10:52 Thirteen more storms set to hit Britain this winter