Mobile phone-sized device could transform stroke patients' lives
A new electronic device the size of a mobile phone could transform aftercare for stroke patients and help them regain movement and control of their hands. The small bit of kit, which is being tested in medical trials, delivers a series of weak electrical shocks followed by an audible click to strengthen brain and spinal connections.
Developed by neuroscientists at Newcastle University, it is thought this could revolutionise treatment for patients by providing a wearable solution to the effects of stroke.
Stuart Baker, Professor of Movement Neuroscience, said: "We have developed a... read more
- 08:47 Arsenal in transfer battle with AC Milan and Marseille for Mexico...
- 08:47 Sunderland councillor in bookies odds to become next Liberal...
- 08:46 ‘Young people need to learn to speak out about problems’
- 08:46 'I hid baby's body in rucksack in wardrobe for 14 years', mum tells...
- 08:43 Ray turns out to play rugby league at 67 and backs our Doncaster...
- 08:42 Lucy hoping her message will ring out
- 08:42 Leyland nurse's plea after M65 crash leaves motorcyclist seriously...
- 08:42 Schools need time to prepare learners for the real world
- 08:42 Star Wars craft lands in Leeds family’s back garden
- 08:41 Schools need time to prepare learners for the real world
- 08:41 Students bring Oklahoma to The Spa
- 08:37 NHS Borders reduces its agency staff costs
- 08:37 Dundee looking for a ‘few more pieces of the puzzle’
- 08:37 School sees red over boys’antic
- 08:35 Gossip: Liverpool linked with Lazio keeper?
- 08:35 Now THAT'S a man cave! Inside the 65ft-deep underground world dug...
- 08:34 Foundry Wood to celebrate fifth birthday
- 08:33 Bitcoin price LIVE: BTC tumbles 'nothing preventing $2500 from...
- 08:31 Lincolnshire police chief reveals force ignored rural crime as it...
- 08:30 Hospital where hundreds died after being given strong painkillers...
- 08:29 Deported Lancaster man to be returned to UK after appeal success
- 08:29 Creativity is key to success for UCLan ‘15’
- 08:27 Man, 22, charged with murdering US rapper XXXTentacion
- 08:27 Argentina fans act like sore losers after team is thrashed by...
- 08:26 Funding approved for parking plans
- 08:25 England crush Australia and now aim to secure ODI series whitewash
- 08:25 Celestial Motion: a virtual dance with the stars
- 08:25 Man Utd transfer news: could Jordi Alba join Fred at Old Trafford?
- 08:23 'Man on tracks with bomb' forces evacuation at railway station
- 08:23 Sheffield family set to sizzle sausages for hospice that supports...