Mississippi burning case: KKK killer Edgar Ray Killen dies
Edgar Ray Killen, the 1960s Ku Klux Klan leader who was convicted over the infamous deaths of three civil rights workers in Mississippi, has died.
The 92-year-old was serving a 60-year sentence, after being jailed in 2005, four decades after the 1964 murders.
The men were detained by police, before being ambushed and shot by Klansmen who were tipped-off about their release.
Their disappearance and deaths shocked the country and helped catalyse the passage of the Civil Rights Act.
The triple killing was also the basis for the 1988 Oscar-winning film Mississippi Burning, a fictionalised take... read more
- 13:37 Linton Bridge reopens to traffic after closurer
- 13:36 Siblings in six-month challenge after dad's cancer diagnosis
- 13:35 Wave of support for school's ban on parents wearing pyjamas
- 13:35 Super League side Hull Kingston Rovers team up with Coventry Bears
- 13:35 Former Coventry City goalkeeper signs up at League One rivals
- 13:35 When are Coventry City's 2018-19 League One fixtures announced?
- 13:35 When does the transfer window close in summer 2018 - all you need...
- 13:32 Mum accused of biting woman's finger off in garden fight says trial...
- 13:32 Secret to happiness is to live in a big city like London or New York
- 13:31 Burton Albion's record on the opening day as EFL fixture release...
- 13:30 'Commie cadet' who wore Che Guevara T-shirt kicked out of US army
- 13:29 Green giant: can Glasgow's new School of Art eclipse Mackintosh's...
- 13:27 Daunting start for Hoppers in National League
- 13:27 Leeds ‘UFO’ likened to Death Star makes national headlines
- 13:26 The UK could legalise medicinal cannabis after major government review
- 13:26 Roofer Ashley Wilkes jailed for killing much-loved dad Christopher...
- 13:25 Tributes to 'lovely' 21-year-old whose death sparked police murder...
- 13:22 Man attacked pregnant girlfriend with Samurai sword because she...
- 13:22 Digital marketing agency sees 50% revenue jump after run of client...
- 13:22 Collision involving lorry and a car near St Peter's Bridge
- 13:21 Nabil Fekir to Liverpool: Sky Sports pundit claims Lyon transfer...
- 13:21 World Cup group B: Portugal vs. Morocco team news, kick-off time...
- 13:20 Police make 9 arrests in 4 day operation to tackle knife crime in...
- 13:20 South Yorkshire challenge raises funds for local clubs
- 13:20 Recycled tools benefit community gardeners
- 13:19 Blood-sucking flies to toxic caterpillars: the insects set to swarm...
- 13:19 Visa admits 5m payments failed over a broken switch
- 13:18 Northumberland College helping build up skills among apprentices
- 13:18 Ex-Sunderland owner Ellis Short in £1.3billion Network Rail bid,...
- 13:18 Government announces official review of cannabis for medicinal use