Ministers told to 'get a grip' on rail franchises as passengers 'badly let down'
MPs have strongly attacked the Government's handling of rail franchises, saying passengers have been "badly let down".
The Transport Select Committee highlighted the "woeful experience" of travellers on Southern Railway, whose services have been disrupted for months because of industrial action, staff shortages and other problems.
Ministers were urged to "get a grip" on monitoring rail franchise agreements, adding that the current method of measuring operator performance, the Public Performance Measure, should be abandoned and replaced with a performance... read more
- 11:38 Blackpool firm’s £6.75m scheme
- 11:37 Stash of heroin, crack cocaine and cash seized by police in Nuneaton
- 11:37 Windows damaged at Buxton hairdresser’s
- 11:36 Defensive dilemma and striker solution: How Birmingham City must...
- 11:36 'It hits players hard' Birmingham City coach reveals the dark side...
- 11:36 John Michie's daughter 'first to die from party drug 2CP', court told
- 11:35 Northants County Council’s £2.5m redundancy payouts in past year
- 11:35 Daventry District residents reminded to sign-up for garden waste...
- 11:35 ELDC calls on Lloyds Bank to reconsider its decision to withdraw...
- 11:33 Disney World now serves the millennial pink cocktail of your dreams
- 11:33 Quarterly survey’s good start
- 11:32 Leeds man hurt after lorry and motorcycle collide on A61 Harewood
- 11:32 Weather: Leeds set to bask in weekend sunshine as heatwave continues
- 11:32 Arsenal make informal contact with Luis Enrique to succeed...
- 11:31 Distressed mum calls for action to improve lane
- 11:30 Sunderland student blogger tests social media with trick Instagram...
- 11:30 Northants County Council’s £2.5m redundancy payouts in past year
- 11:29 Watch: Driver inches from hitting woman and child as he flees...
- 11:29 Leeds man hurt after lorry and motorcycle collide on A61 Harewood
- 11:29 Ulverston musician Jess Gillam to play at Last Night of The Proms
- 11:28 Quarterly survey’s good start
- 11:28 Very colourful way to learn
- 11:27 Kettering woman cleared of sexual assault on boy
- 11:27 Northants County Council’s £2.5m redundancy payouts in past year
- 11:27 Paul O’Grady pays tribute to ‘Mr Showbiz’ Dale Winton and dishes on...
- 11:26 Walter Moody: Alabama executes 83-year-old
- 11:26 Three arrested following ram raid on Co-op in Long Bennington and...
- 11:25 Lorry fire at Sainsbury's roundabout in Chester causing heavy traffic
- 11:24 Eden Project boss confirms plans for “world class” experience in...
- 11:24 ELDC calls on Lloyds Bank to reconsider its decision to withdraw...