Ministers give controversial Highlands windfarm green light
A controversial 22-turbine windfarm in a remote area of Sutherland, earmarked by the Scottish Government for protection from such developments, has been given the green light by ministers.
The Creag Riabhach scheme in Altnaharra lies within the Wild Land Areas map which was unveiled by ministers two years ago to protect the natural heritage of Scotland. It came amid growing public concerns about the spread of windfarms onto untouched landscapes.
Conservation and mountaineering groups say they are “disappointed and concerned” by the decision.
Energy minister Paul Wheelhouse said the windfarm... read more
- 13:53 Disruption for trains through Preston over Easter Bank Holiday...
- 13:53 Students generosity helps Third World families
- 13:51 Colorado Girl Scouts are now allowed to sell their cookies in front...
- 13:52 Suspected drug dealer jumped in duck pond: Police chase in...
- 13:52 Warnings over Amazon toy after young girl ends up in hospital with...
- 13:51 Clitheroe is the unluckiest place in the UK
- 13:52 Institutional sex abuse survivors urged to come forward for inquiry
- 13:51 How do tuition fees in the UK compare to other countries?
- 13:51 10 great things to do in Derbyshire this half term
- 13:51 Clitheroe KFC temporary closure as chain runs out of chicken
- 13:51 Liam Payne, 24, reveals what he and Cheryl, 34, disagree over...
- 13:51 Cash Isa savings rates begin to tick up
- 13:51 The Great North Air Ambulance a step closer to finding a new base
- 13:51 Suspected drug dealer jumped in duck pond: Police chase in...
- 13:51 Stars of the future: The 50 most promising under-20 players in...
- 13:51 YP Letters: Dreading the closure of our local banks
- 13:51 KFC closures across Wigan borough - latest
- 13:49 NBA All-Star Weekend: Slam dunks, superheroes and a shaky anthem
- 13:47 Colorado Girl Scouts are now allowed to sell their cookies in front...
- 13:46 Revealed: The best Harrogate GP surgeries according to NHS rankings
- 13:46 Pete Wishart rules himself out of SNP’s deputy leader race
- 13:45 Have you seen missing 15-year-old Hannah?
- 13:44 Shocked Hucknall residents react to Strathmore Close ‘murder’
- 13:44 Have you seen missing 15-year-old Hannah?
- 13:43 New rules for Burnley street traders
- 13:42 Latvian central bank boss 'wanted bribe'
- 13:43 President’s Day 2018: What is closed on President’s Day?
- 13:42 Indian bank branch at centre of $1.8bn fraud is closed
- 13:42 BITCOIN NEWS: US giant says cryptocurrencies won’t spark financial...
- 13:43 Suspected drug dealer jumped in duck pond: Police chase in...