Migrant quotas WILL be axed says EU president as millions flock to Europe
The Slovakian Prime Minister said the idea that Brussels could force countries to take in a certain number of migrants is “politically finished”.
His comments come as Hungarians prepare to go to the polls in a referendum over the issue on Sunday, with two thirds of voters set to rejects the EU's plans to relocate more than 1,000 refugees to the country.
Mr Fico said: “Quotas today clearly divide the EU, therefore I think they are politically finished.”
Several eastern European countries have fought the policy adopted last year that would force all EU countries to take in some of the... read more
- 09:32 Meeting to make decision on proposals to reduce size of Lichfield...
- 09:32 Warwick primary school pupils get a helping hand planting spring bulbs
- 09:32 Weather: 'BEAST FROM THE EAST' to freeze Yorkshire next week
- 09:31 Netanyahu aide agrees to implicate PM over corruption claims – reports
- 09:31 Lake District zip-wire plans abandoned after protests
- 09:31 Pound to euro exchange rate: Brexit report drives sterling higher
- 09:31 Breaking: Fire crews in attendance at Mablethorpe house fire
- 09:30 Doncaster octogenarian’s royal appointment in recognition of...
- 09:30 Leeds Rag Fashion Show: A Time.less display of creativity and energy
- 09:29 The prolific Newcastle United striker whose name is so often...
- 09:29 Knifeman who sparked a stand-off with armed police at his Hebburn...
- 09:28 Steve Bruce's verdict on Lewis Grabban - the full Aston Villa press...
- 09:28 Every word Steve Cotterill had to say after Birmingham City were...
- 09:28 Man hurt as car ends up in Doncaster ditch
- 09:28 Barratt considers shifting production from Germany to UK
- 09:28 Four injured in Doncaster motorway crash
- 09:27 Value our inspirational teachers
- 09:26 Crooks backing old pal van Veen to be a big hit at Cobblers
- 09:26 Blaze at glass recycling plant in South Kirkby near Pontefract
- 09:25 Wraps come off new BMW X4
- 09:25 Body found in middle of M20 motorway closes road
- 09:25 Chelsea News: Hazard talks Barcelona draw, Courtois' Real Madrid...
- 09:25 Police find cannabis bush worth £4,000 in house raid in Sheffield
- 09:25 Warwick primary school pupils get a helping hand planting spring bulbs
- 09:25 Eddie Hearn targets August showdown with Jarrell Miller for Anthony...
- 09:24 Why Darkest Hour should win the 2018 best picture Oscar
- 09:23 'Affordable' housing in Bilton: new meeting announced
- 09:23 Good Morning Britain’s Susanna Reid forced to interrupt seriously...
- 09:23 First picture of Wolverhampton murder victim Sarbjit Kaur
- 09:22 Barrow woman accused of harassment to appear on trial