Migrant children returning to Calais, say NGOs, after 'jungle' demolished
Some 300 to 400 migrants, mostly unaccompanied children, have made their way back to Calais in northern France over the past few weeks in the hope of reaching Britain, non-government associations say.
France moved more than 6,000 migrants, many fleeing poverty and war in their homelands, from the site of a makeshift camp in the port city last October to reception centres around the country to calm growing local anger.
The migrants from the Middle East, Asia and Africa have streamed into Calais for years, hoping to cross the short stretch of sea to Britain by leaping onto trucks and trains,... read more
- 14:55 There’s a massive art installation dedicated to sweets in Dallas
- 14:54 Football league runs at Brid CYP this summer
- 14:54 VIDEO: Floral tributes pour in for murdered Sheffield teen as...
- 14:53 Police primed to deal with any underage drinkers
- 14:53 Major road in Northamptonshire near M1 closed following crash
- 14:46 VIDEO: Floral tributes pour in for murdered Sheffield teen as...
- 14:45 Councillors backing Market Place projects
- 14:43 A troublesome resident has been jailed after he breached an...
- 14:41 Billy Bragg on Barking: ‘I would hurry past every alleyway for fear...
- 14:41 World Cup 2018: The 12 Tottenham stars you can expect to see in...
- 14:38 New Sunderland AFC owners 'absolutely intent' on return of Stadium...
- 14:34 Train gets 'lost' in Yorkshire after it goes the wrong way
- 14:32 Met Office issues thunderstorm flood warning for Bank Holiday Monday
- 14:32 A troublesome resident has been jailed after he breached an...
- 14:30 Police primed to deal with any underage drinkers
- 14:30 Scots writers protest against Richard Branson’s Edinburgh hotel plans
- 14:28 Murder inquiry launched after boy, 17, dies in Northampton
- 14:28 Firefighters 7,500m climb for fellow life-savers
- 14:27 Liverpool Champions League team news: Star to miss game, Klopp...
- 14:25 People aren’t impressed with this restaurant’s take on a full...
- 14:25 BREAKING NEWS: Murder inquiry launched after death of teenager in...
- 14:25 Major road in Northamptonshire near M1 closed following crash
- 14:24 Fun for all the family at Whissendine School’s fayre
- 14:24 Real Madrid Champions League final team: Zidane to name this 4-3-3...
- 14:24 Firefighters 7,500m climb for fellow life-savers
- 14:23 In Pictures: 11 ancient items the Vikings left in Scotland
- 14:22 Here's when Leeds' new The Ivy restaurant will open
- 14:22 Train gets 'lost' in Yorkshire after it goes the wrong way
- 14:21 Ozzy Osbourne: ‘My problem, really, is I don’t remember I’m 70’...
- 14:20 Firefighters 7,500m climb for fellow life-savers