Migrant children returning to Calais, say NGOs, after 'jungle' demolished
Some 300 to 400 migrants, mostly unaccompanied children, have made their way back to Calais in northern France over the past few weeks in the hope of reaching Britain, non-government associations say.
France moved more than 6,000 migrants, many fleeing poverty and war in their homelands, from the site of a makeshift camp in the port city last October to reception centres around the country to calm growing local anger.
The migrants from the Middle East, Asia and Africa have streamed into Calais for years, hoping to cross the short stretch of sea to Britain by leaping onto trucks and trains,... read more
- 18:50 Could Britain rejoin the EU after Brexit? Yes – and here’s how we’d...
- 18:50 Thug jailed for threatening to use blow torch on young girl
- 18:49 Shoppers' fury as mall bosses charge women 20p to use the loo, but...
- 18:49 Zayn Malik's cousin Arshiya, five, dies after battle with brain tumour
- 18:49 SEC denies second application to list a Bitcoin product
- 18:48 Surf Snowdonia want another 'world first' but will focus on Year of...
- 18:47 Italian bailout candidate Pop Vicenza posts 1.9 billion euro loss
- 18:46 Rising star Adams claims national cross country title
- 18:46 Granny was watching Casualty when New Ferry explosion showered her...
- 18:46 Pakistan says Facebook vows to tackle concerns over blasphemous...
- 18:45 Liverpool star Adam Lallana captured feeling his thigh at half-time...
- 18:45 EROTICA BRITANNIA OR EROICA BRITANNIA: Name of Derbyshire festival...
- 18:44 'The heart and soul of Newcastle United': Ex-players pay tribute to...
- 18:43 Fresh footage emerges of even more people 'having sex' in the street
- 18:43 Builder who rescued dog from a fire 'made a friend for life'
- 18:43 This infamous SELL-OUT Zara coat is back - and now comes with THIS...
- 18:42 Jurgen Klopp ready to smash Liverpool transfer record with huge...
- 18:42 Barcelona want midfielder… but he's admitted Arsenal move is appealing
- 18:42 Grants bolster bid to give 'national treasure' viaduct a new life
- 18:41 Family’s horror after car is hit by youths throwing brick onto busy A1
- 18:41 URGENT APPEAL Concern for missing Notts family
- 18:40 URGENT APPEAL Concern for missing Notts family
- 18:39 Man United transfer update: Midfielder posts message as he heads to...
- 18:39 Man City star Leroy Sane heaps praise on Pep Guardiola ahead of...
- 18:37 If this man sits next to a woman on the Tube call the police
- 18:36 Pro-EU group to sing for Europe in Alnwick tomorrow
- 18:35 Baroness Warsi - We must look at what drives radicalisation
- 18:34 Van bursts into flames Wrexham
- 18:34 Black Tesla worker says he faced racist taunts, violent threats
- 18:33 Cumbria engraver does a Sterling job of new pound coin