Middlesbrough's shameful past as the capital of sin - and the infamous pubs that fuelled it
The recent growth of micro-pubs in Middlesbrough is not a new phenomenon - a similar development followed the birth of the town back in the 19th Century.
But instead of the likes of Baker Street and Linthorpe Road, the sprawling mass of drinking joints sprung up in St Hilda’s, close to the docks.
Many of the pubs were no bigger than a living room in a terraced house and were often just yards apart.
But with these bars was born the town’s most shameful period, from 1830–1868 when it was nothing short of a frontier town, servicing the dark desires of an exploding population.
Now local... read more
- 08:38 JOHN DILLEY’S WWI BLOG: Loving father held the hand of his dying son
- 08:36 Roasting and frying stachy foods could increase cancer risk, warns...
- 08:36 Vodafone roll out 4G in another pocket of Cumbria
- 08:35 Where is BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2017 being held?
- 08:35 Hull City news and rumours LIVE - Ryan Mason updates and Tigers...
- 08:35 Aston Villa: Tony Xia brilliantly trolls transfer-hungry fans
- 08:34 Father pictured risking child’s life by walking on frozen lake
- 08:33 DR MAX THE MIND DOCTOR: Why anorexia has no respect for age
- 08:33 HEALTH NOTES: I'm knocked out by boxercise, says Julia Bradbury
- 08:33 Poulton couple saved from 'nasty and toxic' blaze by fire doors
- 08:33 E-cigarettes are getting non-smoking teens hooked on nicotine:...
- 08:32 Super snowdrop show
- 08:32 Record-breaking year for outlet
- 08:31 On the move: Latest appointments and promotions
- 08:31 ‘The world is watching’ US spies claim Trump’s ties to Russia could...
- 08:30 Pundit: This is impressing me most about Chelsea under Antonio Conte
- 08:30 European shares weighed down by banks, Essentra warning; Generali...
- 08:30 Australia police probe firearms death during making of hip hop video
- 08:30 Woman, 93, died after choking on her lunch despite efforts of care...
- 08:30 Watch as emotional crowd sees mum have head shaved for cancer charity
- 08:27 Parking on Barrow Island: Is it a problem?
- 08:27 Man jailed after breaching restraining order in Barrow four times
- 08:28 Sunderland and Newcastle United fans come together to support brave...
- 08:27 Wardens called in to Ulverston to catch dog poo criminals in the act
- 08:28 Missing South Yorkshire teenager found safe and well
- 08:27 'Supply drugs and we will catch you'
- 08:27 Council tax bills in South Lakeland set to increase by £5
- 08:27 Dalton pupils nearing fundraising total to pay for once in a...
- 08:27 PM faces increasing demand for answers over failed Trident test
- 08:27 Barrow MP visits front line NHS staff battling the ongoing winter...