Microsoft partners with old rival Linux Foundation
Microsoft has thrown its financial weight behind Linux, the operating system that rivals its own Windows.
One of the company's former chief executives once described the platform as being "a cancer".
It is now spending $500,000 (£400,000) to join the Linux Foundation, which promotes the open-source OS amongst businesses and developers.
Other platinum members include companies such as Google, Facebook and Samsung.
Microsoft and Linux have not always seen to eye to eye. In 2001, then Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said in a widely-reported newspaper interview: "Linux... read more
- 16:10 This is when Beauty and the Beast Chip mugs will be back in Primark
- 16:10 Revealed: Ambitious bid to send Channel 4 to Coventry
- 16:10 Some 146 migrants feared dead after shipwreck, sole survivor says
- 16:10 Do you recognise these watches?
- 16:08 Fantasy Football Tips: The transfers you should make for Gameweek 30
- 16:07 RNLI figures show increase for Northumberland lifeboat crews
- 16:07 Knitted chicks set to boost funds
- 16:07 Everything you need to know ahead of May's local elections in...
- 16:07 New property firm Watsons Estate Agency opens in Kimberley
- 16:07 See New Year's Eve road menace take police on 100mph pursuit in...
- 16:07 The Whitehouse in Sawley is to close and re-open as a tapas...
- 16:07 School cuts: 'Education is in crisis. We’re being asked to do more,...
- 16:06 Lord Jordan encourages Claverdon School pupils to grasp opportunities
- 16:06 Call goes out for your funny pet photos
- 16:06 Suspicious incident reported in Radford Semele
- 16:06 Merseyrail reveals Grand National day plans for train services...
- 16:06 Analysis: Brexit letter brings change of tone from PM
- 16:06 VIDEO: Fire closes off part of Mansfield town centre
- 16:06 Nine new animal cruelty complaints EVERY DAY in Nottinghamshire
- 16:05 President Hollande ‘Brexit will be PAINFUL for the British’
- 16:05 Engineers repair Syria's Tabqa dam spillways after shelling
- 16:05 Park on the kerb or the grass verge? You could soon be fined for...
- 16:05 German parliament foiled cyber attack by hackers via Israeli website
- 16:05 Angry residents urge council to act immediately after travellers...
- 16:05 This is how Brexit will affect each Premier League club - including...
- 16:05 Why Ross McCormack's Aston Villa career might not be over - Villa...
- 16:05 Aston Villa: Neil Taylor was "nearly in tears" - Everton defender
- 16:04 Pride in Barrow roots to feature in debut author’s labour of love
- 16:04 Zlatan Ibrahimovic hints at extending Manchester United stay
- 16:04 Samsung Galaxy S8 hides home button and gains Bixby AI