Michael Howard: UK does not need to be in EU single market
Britain should not remain a member of the single market once it leaves the European Union, former Conservative leader Michael Howard has said.
Lord Howard told the BBC the UK should secure "access" to it instead.
He also said Brexit negotiations should be concluded "as soon as we can" to avoid prolonged uncertainty about the UK's future relationship with the EU.
The government has not said when it will start the formal exit process, other than it will not begin this year.
There is also uncertainty over the nature of the UK's relationship with the bloc post-Brexit,... read more
- 07:31 Sunderland headteachers want parental support to fight ‘£14million...
- 07:31 Driver dragged from car by stranger as three women suffer...
- 07:31 ‘Autism passport’ scheme launched thanks to input from Sunderland...
- 07:31 Brave Bradley Lowery is pride of England as Wembley mascot
- 07:30 Gulf Arab states push for UK free trade deal after Brexit - officials
- 07:27 Indyref2: SNP ‘must be realistic’ on economy to win vote
- 07:26 Nikkei tumbles as safe-haven yen surges on Trump healthcare defeat
- 07:25 Fire crews called to college twice in one night
- 07:25 Cheryl’s mum Joan ‘moving into Cheryl and Liam Payne’s love nest to...
- 07:24 Voice your concerns about village plan
- 07:23 Lionel Messi demands Barcelona sign these players: Cristiano...
- 07:19 SLIDESHOW: Blackpool 2 Hartlepool United 1: Pools fans slideshow
- 07:18 Kirsty Gunn: A good deal more worthy than pandering to politics
- 07:18 Lincoln man appears in new Channel 5 documentary
- 07:18 At last! Town to finally get skate park after 11 year wait
- 07:18 Lincolnshire hotel set to be transformed into special school
- 07:18 Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez eyes incredible Premier League signing
- 07:17 Everything you need to know about the new £1 coin
- 07:17 How Hull mum's love for kids helped her break free from prostitution
- 07:17 Princes Quay shopping centre reveals new-look entrances to help...
- 07:17 Hull KR's Jamie Ellis disappointed to not break world record
- 07:17 Live as Radio 1 reveals Big Weekend Hull ticket release date
- 07:17 Curb supermarket discounts on salty, fatty foods: MPs demand tough...
- 07:16 Edinburgh’s Exova confirms three takeover approaches
- 07:16 WEATHER: Sheffield set for more sunshine this afternoon
- 07:16 News report on a loop
- 07:15 Theresa May pledges to ‘strengthen Union’ as Brexit looms
- 07:13 Man City news and transfer rumours LIVE Gabriel Jesus injury latest...
- 07:11 Former Liverpool star: I took half the money to join Reds over...
- 07:10 £50k repairs for ‘at risk’ Trentham Mausoleum