Meteor shower due to peak this week - with clear skies expected
It's set to be a stargazers' delight this week as the Orionids meteor shower reaches its peak as the weather remains good. The Orionids are caused by dust from the tail of Halley's Comet, which create a beautiful spectacle in the skies. Up to 20 meteors are expected to be visible every hour on Thursday night.
The meteors can be seen from around 9pm onwards and are most visible after the moon sets at about midnight.
The first appeared at the beginning of the month and will be visible until November 7, but peak on Thursday night.
You won't need a telescope or any other equipment, as the... read more
- 17:00 ‘Shed’ idea for town centre bar
- 17:00 Air force general ‘used fighter jet to save time on his commute’
- 17:00 Fears are rewoken over quarry plans
- 17:00 Greggs may open later this year opposite Preston hospital
- 16:59 Falling oil prices push petrol prices down
- 16:59 The Betrayed Girls: MP says she was called 'racist' over Rochdale...
- 16:59 Crash Bandicoot PS4 review round-up: N Sane Trilogy divides critics
- 16:59 Travellers who moved onto Chaddesden Park vow to stay in Derby for...
- 16:59 Pokemon Go UPDATE - Rare Shiny Pikachu REVEALED for Niantic...
- 16:58 Facebook storm after hunting group pose for wedding pictures at top...
- 16:58 Radja Nainggolan will join Manchester United reckons pundit Janusz...
- 16:57 Borders huntsmen convicted of breaching fox-hunting laws
- 16:57 Raid on Barclays bank in Sparkbook: Everything we know so far
- 16:56 Worldwide fears as borrowing may become much more difficult
- 16:56 Phil Neville: If Manchester United can do this they will challenge...
- 16:56 Helping families as always
- 16:56 Pupils learning to keep it fresh after food firm pays a visit
- 16:55 PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Made In Chelsea's Tiffany Watson flaunts serious...
- 16:55 Hey Good(man) Lookin'! Reality star Chloe displays her eye-popping...
- 16:55 Plenty of inspiration to be found
- 16:54 Calls for indyrer2 to require a 70% margin for victory
- 16:54 The disruptive retailers bringing the high street to the consumer
- 16:54 The Ripon Mayor’s column with Pauline McHardy
- 16:54 Conwy bride's dream wedding nightmare after marquee firm no-show
- 16:53 Brazil authorities seek arrest of 95 Rio de Janeiro police officers
- 16:53 Youth services set to be cut and jobs axed by Leicester council
- 16:53 Dramatic race against time for father-of-two, 56, who has three...
- 16:53 Swift Fox Cabs "In 50 years, we’ve had power cuts, phone lines...
- 16:53 Birthday greetings sent to eight-year-old boy proves bullies never win
- 16:52 Police officer denies rape allegations