Mental illness casts shadow over Afghans struggling to cope with decades of war
LONDON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - When psychiatrist Ghulam Sarwar Sakha first met a 23-year-old woman who had been studying in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz when it was stormed by the Taliban last year, the trainee teacher could not drown out the voices in her head.
Locked in her room to avoid the fighting that raged on the streets outside, the student started hallucinating.
"'I receive warnings and threats. They say I am bad girl. I don't wear a hijab. They are going to come and get me'," said Sakha, recalling the words of his patient.
It became so bad that her parents... read more
- 00:12 Do YOU know who your rivals in the office are? Experts find most of...
- 00:12 Google taking on Uber with 'carpool' service using its Waze app
- 00:12 Hackers can steal your information simply by analyzing the LED...
- 00:12 On the 20th anniversary of Dolly's birth, researchers reveal they...
- 00:11 Banks' bond trading up in 2016 for first time since 2012 after...
- 00:06 All-important antidote to mindless Hollywood pulp
- 00:06 Time to mothball divas’ swansong opera
- 00:07 Paige Doherty's family start #NoJusticeForPaige campaign and call...
- 00:06 The veins Nafta opened in Mexico
- 00:06 Hamilton rallies against ‘outdated’ Formula One
- 00:06 Gymnastics doc accused of sex crimes
- 00:06 Laidlaw out: A massive loss
- 00:06 Tata must honour its pledge to steel workers
- 00:06 A man at the heart of battles that shaped countless lives
- 00:06 ‘Fortress Australia’ – Government seeks Trump-like powers against...
- 00:07 Not tonight, I really DO have a headache: One in 100 suffer 'coital...
- 00:07 HS2 work to start after final hurdle cleared
- 00:06 Corbyn is no whipping boy
- 00:06 Ecuador: Presidential election goes to run-off
- 00:06 Turkey: Pro-Kurdish party leader jailed for five months
- 00:06 United States: Jewish centres targeted by bomb threats
- 00:06 May under pressure from own side over Dubs plan
- 00:06 Unison fights challenge to rerun election
- 00:06 New Met chief Dick ran op which killed Menezes
- 00:04 Henrikh Mkhitaryan speaks out on injury: Man United star 'happy and...
- 00:03 Thousands of doctors trained in Europe 'may quit UK after Brexit'
- 00:03 Forget five a day, eat 10 portions of fruit and veg to cut risk of...
- 00:01 Chelsea manager Antonio Conte stresses the importance of a 'family...
- 00:00 Topshop warehouse workers to walk out
- 00:00 Cancer rates at a new high, ONS reports