Mental health patients trapped on hospital wards due to red tape, says report
And some new patients seeking help are being sent to treatment facilities hundreds of miles from their homes to get care as a result of this so-called bed blocking.
Many who have been on acute psychiatric wards for nine weeks or more could be receiving more appropriate care elsewhere, researchers said.
The comments come as experts examined an unprecedented situation where around half of the acute psychiatric beds in one English county closed suddenly in May 2014.
The discovery of a fire safety flaw led to the temporary closure of a mental health facility in Cornwall.
This meant that over... read more
- 12:02 Harry’s flying high ahead of 90th birthday glider flight
- 12:01 Knife crime rises 14% as downward trend reverses
- 12:01 How to spot an email phishing scam
- 12:01 SLIDESHOW: Scouts parade through Brighouse for St George’s Day
- 12:01 "Have I been sacked? No!" Radio Sheffield host Toby Foster responds...
- 12:00 Change to parking charges at Peterlee Community Hospital
- 12:00 Diesel scrappage scheme and toxin tax – How much will it cost, when...
- 12:00 Neymar believes Manchester United are prepared to buy out his...
- 12:00 Irvine Vics are relegated to the Ayrshire District League but boss...
- 12:00 How to spot an email phishing scam
- 11:59 Pep Guardiola: These Manchester United players are perfect
- 11:59 London Craft Week: Discover makers, designers and artists
- 11:58 BMW driver crashes car, gets out and strips off while drinking...
- 11:58 Paul Pogba in, Zlatan Ibrahimovic out! Find out who makes our...
- 11:57 Tour de Yorkshire: Forged by legacy
- 11:57 Warring parties to fight on after latest twist in bitter...
- 11:56 British brands lose value post-Brexit
- 11:56 Qatar denies trying to pay ransom money to free hostages in Iraq
- 11:56 Lawyers who defend drivers in court accused of speeding join forces
- 11:56 Bluebells in bloom show spring has sprung
- 11:56 Watch Ed Sheeran being CARRIED to the stage from his dressing room...
- 11:56 Woman arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after man dies in house...
- 11:56 Ryan Sessegnon EXCLUSIVE: This is who Fulham star wants to play for...
- 11:56 Tyson Fury shares sincere clip from Spanish training camp vowing ‘I...
- 11:55 Star Wars news: Is THIS when Han Solo movie title will be revealed?...
- 11:55 Second principal for Leeds free school
- 11:55 New series of organ recitals set to begin
- 11:55 How to spot an email phishing scam
- 11:55 Tributes to Preston cartoonist Leo Baxendale
- 11:55 REVIEW: Catching the early bird at The Sparling Barton is highly...