Meningitis teenager shares photos to raise awareness
A teenage girl who nearly died from meningitis has shared photos of her rash-covered body in an attempt to raise awareness of the disease.
Charlene Colechin, 18, described how her organs failed, causing her "to die" until doctors managed to save her.
The hair stylist, from near Chesterfield in Derbyshire, has been in hospital for a month and spent nine days in a medically induced coma.
She still faces surgery to remove her toes and possibly her feet.
Speaking from hospital, Miss Colechin said she felt lucky to be alive.
"I was screaming because I was in that much pain,"... read more
- 05:21 Prince William in Liverpool today for world's biggest business...
- 05:16 Less 'bias and bigotry' needed in Australian-Sino relations says...
- 05:16 'They’re trying to break me': Polish judges face state-led...
- 05:06 Does Iran hold key to Dutch murder mystery?
- 05:06 XXXTentacion: Rapper's volatile life made compelling music
- 05:06 A battle to save Indonesia's orang-utans
- 05:04 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 05:04 Sneak peek inside trampoline park just weeks away from opening near...
- 04:50 Dreamworld inquest: emergency stop button was not pushed
- 04:32 Man caught with Samurai sword in east Hull street
- 04:10 Author Junot Diaz cleared to teach at US university after...
- 04:06 Pentagon cancels Freedom Guardian military drill with South Korea
- 03:46 Apple fined for misleading customers in Australia
- 03:37 Prodigy, rapper of Mobb Deep fame, dies aged 42
- 02:57 Finsbury Park attack: Minute's silence held to mark anniversary
- 02:57 Cannabis war 'comprehensively lost', says William Hague
- 02:49 New Zealand: Winston Peters vows to be first to enter re-opened...
- 02:36 Man who misused wife’s blue badge gets suspended prison sentence
- 02:33 Trump threatens additional $200bn in tariffs on China
- 02:27 Thomas Lemar agrees to join Atlético Madrid as Griezmann extends...
- 02:17 Trump threatens new tariffs on $200bn in Chinese imports
- 02:15 Yorkshire leaders unite in bid to bring Channel 4 HQ to Leeds City...
- 02:08 MP backs campaign to fight to keep ‘vital’ children’s centres
- 02:08 Yorkshire leaders unite in bid to bring Channel 4 HQ to Leeds City...
- 02:08 The Yorkshire Post says: Bank on Yorkshire. More questions than...
- 02:08 The Yorkshire Post says: May day over North’s trains. PM still to...
- 02:08 Lord Timothy Kirkhope: In defence of Yorkshire’s peers
- 02:01 Indonesia: one dead, dozens missing in North Sumatra boat accident
- 01:59 Love Island bosses 'are keen to get Charlie back in the villa'......
- 01:59 Dua Lipa and boyfriend Isaac Carew kiss as they are seen for first...