Mega-hurricane Matthew storms across Caribbean
One of the most powerful Atlantic hurricanes in recent history weakened a little yesterday as it roared across the Caribbean on a course that put Jamaica, Haiti and Cuba in the path of potentially devastating winds and rain.
Matthew briefly reached the top hurricane classification, Category 5, and was the strongest Atlantic hurricane since Felix in 2007.
The US National Hurricane Centre in Miami said its winds had slipped to a still-devastating 155mph and it was expected to reach the eastern part of Jamaica on Monday.
Jamaicans began clearing out store shelves as they stocked up emergency... read more
- 16:15 How has this been allowed to happen? Brave Alex Novakovic and his...
- 16:15 Fears over killer food poisoning bug prompt recall
- 16:15 U.S. STOCKS MOVE HIGHER; DOW UP 0.25 PCT, S&P 500 UP 0.1 PCT,...
- 16:15 Fabulous at 40 - The celebrities who don't seem to age
- 16:14 View from the Zoo: Free ranging friendly birds
- 16:13 Halifax bow and arrow girl shooting 'not intentional'
- 16:12 Real Madrid tie Lucas Vazquez down to long-term contract after...
- 16:12 Quiz: can you name all 33 Burton Albion players Nigel Clough has...
- 16:11 Thousands stolen from security man during violent robbery in...
- 16:11 Social worker is in the running to win major award
- 16:10 Manchester United youngster Nishan Burkart scores outrageous winner...
- 16:10 Halloween highlights in the Harrogate District
- 16:10 Rock Up and Sing! choir set to perform gigs in Budapest
- 16:10 Column – Transport Talk with Don Mackenzie
- 16:10 Businesses evacuated in Stirling after gas leak at industrial estate
- 16:10 The unfair secrets behind celebrity fitness DVDs
- 16:10 Brother of stab victim to run for Chorley’s A&E
- 16:09 Police called after pig’s head found in Wellingborough
- 16:09 Repton left 'in chaos' due to diversion signs misleading drivers,...
- 16:09 Shop banned from selling alcohol after employing illegal immigrant
- 16:08 Revealed: Our top 10 nightmares, and what they mean
- 16:08 Councils accused of taking risks with OAPs' wellbeing by failing to...
- 16:07 First look inside Halloween Spooktacular - pictures and video
- 16:07 Looking for work experience? We asked a job search expert for top tips
- 16:07 From cheeky scrawls to hilling tags - a look at Newcastle's graffiti
- 16:06 England need top order to come good as they look to wrap up Test...
- 16:06 Sports Minister Tracey Crouch shows off her football skills at the...
- 16:06 Ukip MEPs Steven Woolfe and Mike Hookem reported to French police...
- 16:06 Seaman caught with child abuse pictures after scaring girl, eight,...
- 16:05 Council forced to clean up overflowing rubbish which littered...