Meet the Sheffield elephant who inspired a whole herd
Sheffield is saying goodbye this weekend to the popular herd of elephant sculptures that have brightened up the city’s public spaces, so here's a picture of Lizzie, the elephant who inspired the idea.
The cutting from the Sheffield Daily Independent of January 31, 1916 was submitted by Sheffield Star Retro supplement reader Brenda Simpson.
Lizzie was pressed into service for Sheffield scrap dealer Thomas Ward.
She became a familiar and much-loved sight in the streets around Kelham Island and went afterwards into city legend.
Lizzie was acquired on loan from a menagerie based at the Wicker... read more
- 09:01 Flu epidemic: the hell of being ill when you’re a parent, and how...
- 09:00 No football snobs at St Johnstone, says Murray Davidson
- 09:00 Raith Rovers can open up a gap at the top
- 09:00 Dundee’s Jon Aurtenetxe hoping for cup success in Scotland after...
- 09:00 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang focused on other things, hints Borussia...
- 08:59 Brothers ordered to pay back £167,650 of modern slavery gains
- 08:55 Federer controversy mounts as Cash admits star has 'UNFAIR...
- 08:53 Brothers ordered to pay back £167,650 of modern slavery gains
- 08:52 Brothers ordered to pay back £167,650 of modern slavery gains
- 08:50 Crunch summit to decide South Yorkshire devolution deal
- 08:47 Australian Open Day 7 schedule: Order of play with Nadal, Wozniacki...
- 08:45 Flasher exposes himself to girl on her way to school
- 08:43 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 08:42 Plaid fears the return of the 'milk snatcher' in Welsh schools
- 08:41 Couple with combined age of 171 become ‘Britain’s oldest newlyweds’
- 08:40 Why you need to wash your car now as winter weather could be...
- 08:39 Major funding delight for town kids club
- 08:38 Driver ignores warning signs and narrowly avoids hitting road...
- 08:36 Barcelona news LIVE updates: Messi to block Man Utd move, Valverde...
- 08:35 Aylesbury Vale District Council going for national glory in 2018...
- 08:35 Jose Mourinho explains how signing Alexis Sanchez will change...
- 08:34 Meet the NHS heroes who help save tiny babies every day in Hull
- 08:34 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 08:34 Ponies are grazing coastal dune land
- 08:34 ‘Not enough work’ to warrant job, pair say
- 08:34 Belford army cadets are back up and running
- 08:34 Spirit of Sport appeal
- 08:33 PICTURES: Drink driver crashes car at Chesterfield roundabout
- 08:33 Casualties cut from car after Blackpool crash
- 08:33 Australian Open 2018: Annabel Croft has theory why Zverev is so far...