Meet the pensioner who has read every copy of the M.E.N since 1942
A great-grandfather who has read every copy of the M.E.N since 1942 celebrated his 90th birthday this weekend.
Alfred George Ryan may have read as many as 24,000 copies of this newspaper since he moved from Middlesbrough to Newton Heath aged 16.
The Manchester City fan bought a copy of the M.E.N on his first day in the city, according to his daughter, Pauline Wray, and has not missed an issue since.
Pauline, 60, said: “He reads every issue back to front, there’s not a column he misses. I just think he has got to be one of the oldest readers and has read more copies of the paper than... read more
- 10:30 The Premier League's deadliest ever penalty takers - ranked by...
- 10:29 Letters - December 12, 2016
- 10:28 Santa to fly in to local hospice
- 10:27 CSKA Moscow star Alan Dzagoev looks to heap misery on Tottenham at...
- 10:27 DEBATE: Should the drink-drive limit be reduced in England?
- 10:27 Palmer concerned by Nailers’ Sunday switch
- 10:27 Manchester City’s Patrick Roberts reveals Pep Guardiola’s words...
- 10:26 New fund attracts £40m in just four days
- 10:26 Could your old mobile pay for Christmas? Classic Motorola and Nokia...
- 10:26 Death crash inquest opened
- 10:25 Tata steel and unions to meet over deal to save thousands of jobs
- 10:25 Keepers of poultry warned to keep birds inside to protect from bird...
- 10:25 New police powers will tackle Lancaster city centre crime
- 10:24 Young footballer scores goal – then drops dead on the pitch from a...
- 10:24 Everton vs Arsenal - win tickets to the Premier League match,...
- 10:23 CCTV still released after card stolen in Buxton burglary is used
- 10:23 Kenilworth D-Day veteran ‘overcome’ with emotion after receiving...
- 10:22 Lincolnshire Devolution: What now for the remaining eight?
- 10:21 EU fines Credit Agricole, HSBC, JPMorgan for Euribor fixing
- 10:21 UK industrial output suffers biggest fall in four years after...
- 10:21 This Manchester city pub will be feeding the homeless on Christmas day
- 10:21 Mourners shave heads for India's Jayalalitha
- 10:20 Pundit calls on Arsenal star Mesut Ozil to make this improvement to...
- 10:20 Ex-Real Madrid president discusses Alexis Sanchez's potential...
- 10:20 Corby police and their partners set up shop in the town centre
- 10:20 What is the speed of light? 6 facts surrounding today’s Google Doodle
- 10:19 £5 notes 'worth £20,000' in circulation
- 10:19 Business Stream chief grilled over farm complaints
- 10:18 Corby police and their partners set up shop in the town centre
- 10:18 Have your say on policing in the Kettering area