Meet the girl following a family tradition by starting a career in shipbuilding
LAURA Black always dreamed
of following in her father and grandfather’s footsteps.
So she set her sights on a shipbuilding career on the Clyde – mastering the generations-old craft of installing complex pipework systems on ships.
The 22-year-old has quickly moved up the ranks and believes her Modern Apprenticeship training is at the heart of her success.
Laura, who left her home in Campbeltown, Argyll, for Clydebank to pursue her goal, completed her three-year apprenticeship last August – ahead of time because of her determination to get the job done.
She has learned to fabricate,... read more
- 00:23 Viewpoint: India court disregards woman's right to choose husband
- 00:23 Ambitious Wales economic growth plan that encourages firms to...
- 00:19 Quetta's Hazara: The community caged in its own city
- 00:19 Laurent Wauquiez: Right-winger is French opposition hope against...
- 00:16 University chiefs must curb pay excesses, says minister
- 00:16 Fury returns to London for UKAD steroid hearing
- 00:16 Clement warns City off celebrations
- 00:16 Klopp: I won’t apologise for squad swaps
- 00:16 New report praises West Yorkshire Police
- 00:16 Christine Keeler: the one that got the blame
- 00:16 State of the Nation(alists)
- 00:16 Guitar over Gaza
- 00:16 Grenfell victims still sidelined
- 00:16 Museum grab condemned as ‘bid to humiliate’ Catalonia
- 00:16 Emboldened Netanyahu set straight by EU
- 00:16 Celtics vs Bulls LIVE stream: How to watch Boston against Chicago...
- 00:16 Maduro hails socialist gains
- 00:16 Kerslake’s trust put in special measures
- 00:16 Ex-fire chief who led cuts appointed to Grenfell panel
- 00:16 A THIRD OF GIRLS ABUSED AT SCHOOL
- 00:15 'Worrying alarm call' for world's birds on brink of extinction
- 00:15 The SRU facing difficult questions over bid for English Premiership...
- 00:14 Concerns over Yorkshire police force’s 'stop and search' scrutiny
- 00:13 Consultation launched today into 'opt out' organ donation scheme
- 00:13 Cumbria Police rated good over ethics
- 00:11 Consultation launched today into 'opt out' organ donation scheme
- 00:11 Cumbria Police rated good over ethics
- 00:10 Full moons increase chances of fatal motorbike crashes
- 00:09 Councillor's faith restored as shop repair bike vandalised when he...
- 00:09 Punishments for animal abusers are going to get much tougher