Meet our weird reptile ancestors: Bizarre 235-million year-old creatures gave rise to mammals
Two new species of cynodonts have been identified after sitting undiscovered in a museum for decades.
The ancient creatures are thought to mark the evolutionary step between reptiles and mammals.
The bizarre specimens feature reptile-like bodies, mammal-like skulls and jaws that are thought to be among the oldest ancestors of mammals.
WHAT ARE CYNODONTS? Cynodonts includes modern mammals (including humans), as well as their ancient ancestors.
The earliest cynodants fossils date back to around 260 million years ago - during the Permian period - predating dinosaurs.
The unusual creatures... read more
- 17:25 Dismembered body of dog found near Lancashire railway line
- 17:24 Ban for Millom woman who denied being three-and-a-half times over...
- 17:24 Rugby firm helps turn 2CV into world's smallest food truck
- 17:24 VIDEO AND PICTURES: Devastation left behind by travellers at...
- 17:24 Troubled shades, tangled triangles and shattering grief
- 17:23 New life breathed into prominent Chesterfield building
- 17:23 Tiny ‘rabbit hutch’ house in Cambridge sells for £280,000
- 17:21 Man, 95, held on suspicion of murder
- 17:20 VIDEO AND PICTURES: Devastation left behind by travellers at...
- 17:19 Solo: A Star Wars Story: is Alden Ehrenreich fit to fill the...
- 17:18 Battle to bring 'brilliant' radiotherapy services to south Cumbria
- 17:17 Incident at Leeds Armley Gyratory reportedly clear but motorists...
- 17:17 Sheffield Council CCTV camera locations revealed
- 17:16 CALDERDALE COUNCIL: New town centre hotel plan
- 17:16 Five French Open matches we’re desperate to see including Sharapova...
- 17:14 Man shot through taxi window by armed police
- 17:13 Bid to make Millom dementia-friendly as part of action week
- 17:13 'Flawed' UK Nursing regulator set to be hauled before parliamentary...
- 17:13 Carlisle hospital parking firm suspended by DVLA
- 17:13 New players wanted at Warwick Girls U9s
- 17:12 Sheep gets stuck on Norfolk river bridge...again
- 17:12 Bidding farewell to Spotty House and Knaresborough
- 17:11 Sunderland University's £5million-plus boost for North East...
- 17:11 Brazil short on basic goods as fuel strike grinds on
- 17:10 IN PICTURES: Celebrating Harry and Meghan’s special day
- 17:10 Does the Growth Commission boost the case for Scottish independence?
- 17:10 Jeremy Corbyn says Northern Ireland needs voice at Brexit table
- 17:08 Incident at Leeds Armley Gyratory reportedly clear but motorists...
- 17:08 Mathew Bates seals in-demand defender as his first Hartlepool signing
- 17:07 Man ‘scalded toddler, 2, in bath, then cut his blistered skin off...