McDonald's workers stage first ever UK strike in pay and conditions row
Workers at restaurant giant McDonald's staged their first ever strike in the UK on Monday in a dispute over pay and conditions.
Staff in Cambridge and Crayford, south-east London, walked out in a row over the use of zero-hours contracts and "inexplicably" low pay.
The Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union (BFAWU) said the strike was being well supported.
Members of other trade unions joined early-morning picket lines outside the two restaurants, while Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn offered his backing.
The workers are calling for a wage of at least £10 an hour and more secure working... read more
- 16:01 Sheffield Council sells furniture to Rotherham
- 15:59 The Yorkshire Post says: Incoherence of Chris Grayling. He must...
- 15:59 Hartlepool United Supporters' Trust chairman snaps up first 2018-19...
- 15:59 Police appeal following incident on A596
- 15:59 Big interview: Bridget Christie on mixing comedy and politics
- 15:58 Facebook is asking for your naked photos - to stop revenge porn
- 15:58 Charity football match to raise cash for Sheffield heart defect boy, 8
- 15:56 Isis supporter encouraged terrorists to target Prince George, court...
- 15:56 Film review: Solo - A Star Wars Story
- 15:55 The Yorkshire Post says: Incoherence of Chris Grayling. He must...
- 15:53 Forget brunch, how about snacking on an avocado on toast...
- 15:52 Plan would see £300,000 investment in Blackpool Illuminations
- 15:50 James Arthur sued by The Script over Say You Won't Let Go
- 15:50 Yorkshire set for heavy downpours and thunderstorms this week
- 15:49 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:49 My ex-wife and I agreed to split my pension 50-50, but my old...
- 15:49 Wael Abbas: Prominent Egyptian blogger 'arrested'
- 15:48 Police seeking this man following Chesterfield football disturbance
- 15:46 Ensuring a lasting legacy for Nick with Foundation
- 15:45 PM Theresa May denies responsibility for changes to hospital...
- 15:44 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:43 Battered chip shacks of Brussels in taste tussle
- 15:42 Roy Nelson hopes Bellator will make things right after London...
- 15:42 Unai Emery wants Arsenal to adopt a ‘very intensive pressing...
- 15:41 Suicidal mom killed herself and murdered son, 8, by pulling him...
- 15:41 Donation to help dementia patients
- 15:40 Iain Duncan Smith had 'issues' with Troubled Families scheme
- 15:37 What was in the royal wedding gift bags that are being sold for...
- 15:35 Turkish lira plummets against dollar
- 15:32 Hamburg becomes first German city to ban older diesel cars