Mayor celebrates bookworms
The Mayor and Mayoress of St Helens, Councillors Dave and Jeanette Banks, dropped by Newton Library to present certificates and medals to young bookworms who took part in a national reading challenge.
Organised by the Reading Agency, this year’s Summer Reading Challenge, titled the ‘Big Friendly Read’ to mark 100 years of Roald Dahl, saw 2,278 children take part across St Helens. 1,546 went on to complete the challenge by reading six books from their local library over the summer.
Libraries Service Development Manager, Kathryn Boothroyd, was among those to congratulate the children for... read more
- 14:59 Milnthorpe OAP had indecent photos of children
- 14:59 Driver faces sentence in June over M55 tragedy in which van driver...
- 15:00 Pupils have buried a time capsule in the grounds of Gainsborough’s...
- 14:59 OAP stole £36k from golf club
- 14:59 Couple branded monsters for killing French nanny over bizarre...
- 14:59 Arsenal news: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang delivers verdict on Unai Emery
- 14:58 Go with the flow: United Utilities' leak-finding sniffer dogs and...
- 14:58 Vibrant law firm one of fastest growing in North-West
- 14:57 'It can’t be true': Parma return to Serie A after three straight...
- 14:57 Trump pulls out of North Korea summit
- 14:56 Boys, 15, guilty of Columbine-style school shooting plot
- 14:56 OAP stole £36k from golf club
- 14:56 Society set for scenic spectacular
- 14:56 Donald Trump cancels historic summit with North Korean leader...
- 14:56 Camilla Parker Bowles reveals the Royal Family were worried over...
- 14:55 Champions League final: Liverpool stars snapped boarding plane to Kiev
- 14:55 TV Highlight AND TRAILER: Sir Anthony Hopkins is King Lear
- 14:54 Couple branded monsters for killing French nanny over bizarre...
- 14:54 Children had more chances under Thatcher than Sturgeon, claim
- 14:54 Louts drinking and climbing on roof at former school site
- 14:54 A proud day for Boulmer as base celebrates Freedom of the City
- 14:53 'Bad trip': air force members guarding nuclear missiles took LSD,...
- 14:53 Court finds Spain's ruling party benefited from bribery scheme
- 14:53 'I love you Mum': more tributes paid on day four of Grenfell inquiry
- 14:52 Vibrant law firm one of fastest growing in North-West
- 14:52 TV Choice AND TRAILER: Five of the best shows this week
- 14:52 Special rail summit planned after 'dreadful' performance of Northern
- 14:52 Motorists take care to avoid family of geese walking Barrow's streets
- 14:52 Barrow man cleared of Samurai sword charge
- 14:51 Trump: NFL kneelers 'maybe shouldn't be in country'