May offers troops protection against legal claims arising from conflicts
Theresa May is to offer British troops protection against vexatious legal claims arising from future conflicts by introducing an automatic opt-out from certain aspects of human rights law.
Under changes being announced at the Conservative conference in Birmingham, the Government will adopt a presumption that it will "derogate" from the European Convention on Human Rights at times of war.
Mrs May said the move should end an "industry of vexatious claims" which has seen veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan pursued through the courts over alleged mistreatment of combatants and... read more
- 09:47 Complaints about drones in Wigan rise by 266%
- 09:47 Missing Cumbrian teen found after appeal
- 09:46 Clitheroe cricket whizzes' unbeaten run in local tournament
- 09:45 Poll: Majority of Scots back the Union but concerned over Brexit
- 09:45 Students given food for thought at showground
- 09:43 People on Tinder aren’t having loads of sex
- 09:43 Solicitor joins childcare team
- 09:43 Another chance to see Jason Manford muddling along
- 09:43 Missing Workington teen found after appeal
- 09:42 Antonio Conte to be sacked by Chelsea in next 48 HOURS:...
- 09:42 Manchester Bomb survivor Martin Hibbert completes Great Manchester Run
- 09:42 Out with the old - and in with the new
- 09:42 Petition launched calling for South Yorkshire's movie history to be...
- 09:42 Leyland mum completed Great Manchester Run for Kidneys for Life...
- 09:41 Police officer's anger after someone POOS on play equipment in...
- 09:41 Yorks power station Drax makes progress on climate change plan
- 09:41 Leyland mum completed Great Manchester Run for Kidneys for Life...
- 09:41 Power station Drax aims to place UK at front of green energy race
- 09:40 Public service commissioner refuses to tell senators if he is under...
- 09:38 Hour-long delays on A50 after crash - live updates
- 09:38 Birmingham Mail Investigations Editor named best UK regional...
- 09:38 Manuel Pellegrini to be appointed new West Ham manager TODAY after...
- 09:38 Birmingham Airport named one of the worst in UK for delayed flights
- 09:38 Andres Iniesta: Barcelona legend sits alone on Nou Camp pitch hours...
- 09:38 Adventurers’ tale given a twist for theatre’s outdoors season
- 09:38 Calderdale weather: Sunshine is here to stay for the rest of the week
- 09:37 Delays and cancellations on Northern trains
- 09:37 CUTLERS’ FEAST: Time for politicians to deliver for Sheffield City...
- 09:37 Police appeal for information after Barrowford assault
- 09:35 Scott Hutchison mural unveiled in Glasgow