May offers troops protection against legal claims arising from conflicts
Theresa May is to offer British troops protection against vexatious legal claims arising from future conflicts by introducing an automatic opt-out from certain aspects of human rights law.
Under changes being announced at the Conservative conference in Birmingham, the Government will adopt a presumption that it will "derogate" from the European Convention on Human Rights at times of war.
Mrs May said the move should end an "industry of vexatious claims" which has seen veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan pursued through the courts over alleged mistreatment of combatants and... read more
- 04:24 'I put toast and cake back on the hospital menu'
- 04:23 North Korea maintains readiness for nuclear test at any time -...
- 04:21 Taiwan top court hears landmark gay marriage case
- 04:14 Chelsea join Man United and Barcelona in £26m winger battle
- 04:13 BOJ's Kuroda says there's no reason to withdraw monetary stimulus now
- 04:11 Man United deal ruined Real Madrid transfer plan: Chelsea could...
- 03:55 China accepts more Australian beef exporters as leaders meet
- 03:49 Liverpool firm up interest in Premier League star: Club will demand...
- 03:33 Angela Merkel 'confident' NO MORE countries will ditch the European...
- 03:31 Washington talks end without agreement on Israeli settlements
- 03:29 Judges to give ruling on woman's battle to divorce husband
- 03:29 Dame Hyacinth speaking...stage and screen stars up for honours
- 03:29 Police inspector found with £700,000 of drugs at home facing...
- 03:29 Marine who won Taliban murder conviction appeal to be sentenced
- 03:17 Nikkei rises as yen strength wanes but still poised for weekly loss
- 03:11 Sydney teenager pleads guilty to Anzac Day terror plot
- 03:04 China central bank to strengthen management of mortgage loan risks...
- 03:00 Poor behaviour 'not taken seriously enough in schools'
- 02:52 All-male White House health bill photo sparks anger
- 02:47 Nations urge Venezuela on elections, warn of diplomatic 'last resort'
- 02:28 Toshiba banks push for quick Westinghouse bankruptcy filing - Nikkei
- 02:28 Trump preparing orders to review trade deals, procurement - officials
- 02:26 YouTube's bid to grab TV dollars imperiled by advertiser revolt
- 02:24 Dollar, stocks edge up as US healthcare vote back on
- 02:24 Venezuela to withdraw troops after Colombia border crossing
- 02:24 China is not militarising South China Sea, Premier Li says
- 02:20 Wakefield 28-24 Leigh: Trinity climb back into top eight of Super...
- 02:20 Kiss and confirm! Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus finally take their...
- 02:20 What's your secret, Sia? See singer's INCREDIBLE transformation in...
- 02:20 Love Island's Cara De La Hoyde turns her attention to her best...