May offers troops protection against legal claims arising from conflicts
Under changes being announced at the Conservative conference in Birmingham, the Government will adopt a presumption that it will "derogate" from the European Convention on Human Rights at times of war.
Mrs May said the move should end an "industry of vexatious claims" which has seen veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan pursued through the courts over alleged mistreatment of combatants and prisoners over a decade after the supposed events took place.
And she said it would reduce the burden on taxpayers, which has seen the Ministry of Defence spend more than £100 million on... read more
- 06:04 Factory worker was trapped between two machines, inquest told
- 06:04 Day-long powercut affected 140 homes in Wakefield
- 06:03 Police take action at Bidford Bridge
- 06:01 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho reveals transfer plans for summer that...
- 05:56 Factory worker was trapped between two machines, inquest told
- 05:53 Arsenal star Shkodran Mustafi breaks silence on transfer talk with...
- 05:49 Arsene Wenger RIGHT to quit Arsenal, says man who appointed Gunners...
- 05:49 Liverpool vs Roma: Why Mohamed Salah will NOT be the biggest threat...
- 05:49 Thierry Henry reveals Arsenal change under Arsene Wenger, opens up...
- 05:49 Chelsea prepare £65m summer move for Serie A star Kalidou Koulibaly
- 05:49 Pep Guardiola to make statement summer signing: Hazard, Mbappe and...
- 05:41 Sadiq Khan demands VW compensate Londoners and TfL
- 05:38 Foreign aid should be spent on preventing 1.3m road deaths...
- 05:35 Toronto van attack: Suspect quizzed after 10 pedestrians killed
- 05:31 Lakes MP calls for Northern to be stripped of franchise
- 05:28 Multi-million pound expansion plans for promotional bag firm Direct...
- 05:18 How you reacted to the Big Brexit Survey
- 05:16 'Uncontrollable grief' of Kim Jong-un over North Korea bus disaster
- 05:16 Hillary Clinton unleashed foul-mouthed tirade in Trump debate prep...
- 05:16 Syria: western nations may seek to bypass Russian veto at UN
- 05:16 Berlin museum offers glimpse of Leni Riefenstahl estate
- 05:12 Alfie's Army try to storm hospital after European Court rejects...
- 05:09 The surprising A-level language choices Coventry students are making
- 05:07 Australian boy flies solo to Bali 'after row over holiday'
- 05:07 Kim Jong-un's 'bitter sorrow' as bus crash kills Chinese tourists
- 05:05 Will Prince Harry and Meghan's children be princes and princesses?
- 05:05 Friends set up events to raise funds for terminal Leicester mum's...
- 05:01 Tory welfare reforms responsible for sending Scots to food banks
- 04:39 Jeremy Corbyn set for crunch meeting with Jewish leaders
- 04:17 UN peacekeepers accused of child rape in South Sudan