May must make cutting youth suicide top priority, says charity
SUICIDE among young people is at its highest rate for more than a decade, a national charity revealed yesterday.
A total of 1,659 people aged under 35 took their lives last year, which is 103 more than in 2014, according to statistics from Papyrus (Prevention of Young Suicide).
Over the last 10 years, the previous high was in 2011, when 1,631 young people took their own lives.
Papyrus chief executive Ged Flynn called for action by the Prime Minister to improve poor mental health among teenagers and young adults.
“Suicide is the biggest killer of young people in Britain,” he pointed out. “It... read more
- 17:23 Doncaster mums helping others to beat post natal depression
- 17:23 'It's been 50 years - now sort out our Doncaster village's old slag...
- 17:22 Cumbria's best apprentice urges the community to nominate dedicated...
- 17:22 Police searching for convicted drug farmer who walked out of open...
- 17:21 Booze sales plan for town centre shop rejected
- 17:20 FTSE 100 surges to a fresh record high
- 17:20 Doncaster mums helping others to beat post natal depression
- 17:19 Sylatech reaches for the sky after securing work with global giants
- 17:19 Man had to have skull surgery after being stamped and kicked on...
- 17:18 Spike in help for Wigan hedgehogs
- 17:18 This brilliant Marc McNulty insight sums up the fun and...
- 17:18 Wiganer conquers Iraqi danger mountain
- 17:18 Syria war: Army takes full control of Damascus after ousting IS
- 17:17 Speaker John Bercow admits muttering word 'stupid'
- 17:15 Lottery win for Cumbrian resident
- 17:15 Workington youngster prepares for open water charity swim
- 17:15 Police officer recognised for diversity work in Cumbria
- 17:14 Victims urged to come forward after sex pest strikes in Chester...
- 17:14 ‘The system has failed to help my sick son’
- 17:14 Legacy funds low-cost homes in Warwick
- 17:14 Theatre review Inside the heart of darkness
- 17:13 Crackdown on 'dangerous' school parking in Doncaster
- 17:13 Is Abramovich at last paying the price for being too close to Putin?
- 17:12 Man Utd and Chelsea backed to complete mega swap involving Willian...
- 17:12 Liverpool ace Sadio Mane fires warning to Real Madrid ahead of...
- 17:12 ‘The system has failed to help my sick son’
- 17:12 Students gain top marks
- 17:11 Children 'threw rocks at heavily pregnant woman' in Coventry
- 17:09 Hospital plan at former BBC studios in Birmingham set to nearly...
- 17:09 Give me five! Steve Bruce explains what's driving him on to succeed...