Mauritania intensifies crackdown on anti-slavery activists, says campaigner
DAKAR (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Mauritanian anti-slavery activists jailed last month have been tortured in detention and transferred to a remote desert location in an "intensification of repression" by the state, a leading campaigner said.
The West African nation in August jailed 13 members of the Resurgence of the Abolitionist Movement (IRA) for up to 15 years for their role in June protests by residents of a slum in the capital Nouakchott, many of whom are former slaves.
Slavery is a historical practise in Mauritania, which became the last country worldwide to legally... read more
- 07:07 Guest column: Public spaces are a jewel in Worksop’s crown
- 07:04 Man Utd end interest in Brazil star to hand Tottenham huge transfer...
- 07:03 Sturgeon says councils could get power to police Airbnb
- 07:03 Mother charges five-year-old daughter rent ‘to teach her about the...
- 07:00 Bamber Bridge have the stomach for promotion battle
- 06:56 Sunderland school celebrates Ofsted success
- 06:56 Businessman gets drink-driving ban after crashing after leaving...
- 06:56 Group campaigning about future of NHS launched in Sunderland
- 06:56 Sunderland hospital takes in 50 flu patients in a week
- 06:56 Sunderland fitness guru’s guide to getting fit for 2018
- 06:55 Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd: Jose Mourinho and Ed Woodward agree...
- 06:54 Crews sought for Antarctica voyage
- 06:54 Alnwick’s one of easiest places to pass driving test
- 06:54 WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES: Jail for Preston dog owner who starved his...
- 06:54 Eyesore shelter daubed with graffiti and is a ‘drug den’
- 06:54 Guest column: New owner is great news for the Tigers
- 06:54 Determined effort to fix ‘dangerous’ paths
- 06:54 Guest column: New bill will help stamp out rogue landlords
- 06:54 Warning after crashes on M6
- 06:53 Australian Open run ends for 15-year-old Marta Kostyuk as she is...
- 06:53 Arsene Wenger says Theo Walcott can return to Arsenal after...
- 06:50 Hull Live Breaking news, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 06:48 Rise in share of council tax for Horncastle residents is revealed
- 06:47 Jarrow MP pledges support to Holocaust Memorial Day
- 06:47 Fears running events could be lost if building plans get the go...
- 06:47 South Shields MP’s husband in new Twitter row
- 06:46 Carlisle hosts north of England Gamejam competition
- 06:45 Pope jumps from Popemobile to help officer when she fell off her horse
- 06:42 Why you should have a lie in on the weekends
- 06:41 Boss Phil Brown wants Lancaster City to make their move