Marmitegate was just the beginning: Experts warn spat was 'thin edge of the wedge', so should investors stick with supermarkets and retail?
Supermarket giant Tesco scored a PR victory last week in the Marmitegate spat with consumer brands titan Unilever, but investors need to weigh up just how the falling pound will hit supermarkets and other retailers, say experts.
The weak pound has prompted rejoicing among investors in many of the largest London-listed companies, who will see their overseas earnings inflated. This has boosted the FTSE 100 through 7,000 and delivered an all-time trading high.
But the flipside of these inflated earnings, as well as competitive exports, is additional pressure on importers, who are having to... read more
- 07:52 M1 crash near A52 Brian Clough Way causes traffic problems
- 07:51 Grimsby Town winger Ashley Chambers talks about his comeback from...
- 07:51 Grimsby Town vs Portsmouth MATCH PREVIEW: Ashley Chambers desperate...
- 07:50 Santa body shames nine-year-old boy
- 07:50 Arsenal legend: Arsene Wenger had the chance to sign this superstar...
- 07:50 Transfer News: Arsenal’s Cazorla replacement, Chelsea eye £38m bid,...
- 07:50 Russia says close to reaching understanding on Aleppo with U.S. - Ifax
- 07:48 Former Caralot partner Jamie Caple apologises after Spondon firm...
- 07:47 New average speed cameras on a Lincolnshire road catch 190 speeding...
- 07:47 Driver in disbelief over parking ticket for being 10 SECONDS late
- 07:47 Why are the swans disappearing from Brayford Pool in Lincoln?
- 07:47 New home for flood-hit centre
- 07:47 Barton under Needwood became a different place the day Arnold...
- 07:46 Gay priest loses appeal in discrimination claim against Church
- 07:45 M1 reopens after 17-hour closure due to lorry crash
- 07:45 Leicestershire weather: Cloudy with rain to start, clearing later.
- 07:45 Scunthorpe firm sees surge in sales after receiving cash boost
- 07:45 Humberside Police rated 'good' for legitimacy
- 07:45 Rochdale game is the only focus for Scunthorpe says manager Graham...
- 07:45 Humberside Police has highest grievance rate in the country
- 07:45 £6.5m futuristic flats plan for Scunthorpe town centre
- 07:45 'Tent town' row as council found only one of the protesters to be...
- 07:44 UK online supermarket Ocado's sales growth dips
- 07:43 Schoolboy lunges at people with a knife before being shot by police
- 07:43 Couple who left newborn with ‘catastrophic injuries’ to go to...
- 07:43 Here's what pupils of transgender Hull teacher Claire Birkenshaw...
- 07:43 Man returns overdue library book 120 years later
- 07:43 Where can you buy Hull City Of Culture 2017 merchandise?
- 07:43 Hero rugby players push ambulance free after it became stuck in...
- 07:43 Saints scrum-half Groom raring to go after honeymoon period