MARKET REPORT: FTSE breaks record then sinks as experts say stock market rise is being driven by sterling's slide
The FTSE 100 briefly hit a record yesterday after climbing in morning trading – but it couldn't keep it up for the duration and ended up losing ground.
The market peaked at 7129.8, beating the previous record that was set on April 27, 2015 when it reached 7122.7. That day the FTSE 100 fell back to close at a record level of 7104.
If investors thought it might put in a repeat performance and set a new record yesterday, they were disappointed. By closing time the market had fallen 0.4 per cent, or 26.62 points to 7070.9.
Experts say the strength of the stock market is being largely driven by... read more
- 08:15 Prison inmate probed over 'Cop Killer' profile on Xbox Live
- 08:15 Nigel Farage on shortlist for Time magazine's person of the year award
- 08:15 Gagging orders 'used by a number of clubs to silence football...
- 08:14 Councillor on warpath over flood risk rating for Spalding
- 08:14 Plans for health services across Lincolnshire ‘leaked’
- 08:14 Granit Xhaka defends slow start to his Arsenal career ahead of...
- 08:14 Lidl set to open its Bourne store this Thursday
- 08:14 TIM FROHWEIN INQUEST: 'We loved him deeply and we always shall'
- 08:12 Roxanne Pallett enlists celebrity support in mission to tackle...
- 08:12 Apprentice star celebrates soaring Cumberland sausage sales
- 08:12 GHA Coaches: Directors other coach company RJ’s of Wem has...
- 08:11 Staff brush up on DIY to help children’s charity
- 08:11 Thai king appoints new members to royal council - palace
- 08:10 Agent of Zlatan Ibrahimovic-endorsed Man Utd target delivers major...
- 08:09 Chelsea actually paid £28m for Eden Hazard – not £32.5m!
- 08:08 13 reasons Bali should be your next holiday destination
- 08:08 Thinking about dumping someone? Do it before December 17th*
- 08:08 Two-vehicle crash near Husbands Bosworth, Leicestershire
- 08:08 Live: Traffic and travel updates for Leicester and Leicestershire
- 08:06 Arnold teacher jailed for carrying out abuse at prep school
- 08:06 Nottingham Forest news and gossip LIVE: Reds under-18 side in FA...
- 08:06 'Superhuman' Robin Hood Marathon winner smashes world record
- 08:06 REVEALED: Winners of days 5, 6 and 7 in our festive bonanza...
- 08:06 TIM FROHWEIN INQUEST: 'We loved him deeply and we always shall'
- 08:05 State aid measures for Monte dei Paschi ready - sources
- 08:05 Alan Shearer to receive CBE from Prince William at Buckingham Palace
- 08:05 Thomas Cook buys Co-Op out from travel stores business for 56 mln stg
- 08:04 Anger as Telford drivers caught up in further delays with latest...
- 08:04 UPDATE 2-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Dec. 6
- 08:04 Aleppo's fall would be win for Russia, defeat for U.S. in Mideast