MARKET REPORT: FTSE 100 continues its winning streak on hopes that Trump will loosen rules on central bank
Banks kicked off the first trading session of the year with a bang, pushing the FTSE 100 up to a record high.
The financial sector breathed a sigh of relief after a meeting to finalise reforms for the industry was called off.
Central banks were set to meet this weekend to sign off new rules about how much capital a lender must hold in reserve.
Many finance firms have dreaded the ruling, which some say could penalise the sector by forcing institutions to hold larger capital buffers at a time when they are already struggling with record-low interest rates and low profitability.
But a delay... read more
- 16:58 Arsenal make major summer announcement: Ivan Gazidis speaks out
- 16:58 Police appealing for information after spate of cars thefts near Rugby
- 16:58 Police warning after man approaches girl in Alvaston Park
- 16:58 One third of Brits have sleepless nights worrying about debt
- 16:58 Councillors agree to tackle rural GPs shortage
- 16:58 Bulldozers in move to make pier site safer
- 16:56 Call for spending limit on whole West Midlands Mayor campaign after...
- 16:56 Walney road closed by Police
- 16:56 When will The Chase be back? Anne Hegerty confirms agonising RETURN...
- 16:55 East Midlands ‘most tolerant’ of migrants but ‘hate EU budget’...
- 16:55 Dog coaxed from under car in Chapel St Leonards needs name
- 16:55 Nearly half of Russians want PM Medvedev to quit, says poll
- 16:54 Jose Mourinho orders Manchester United to sign Willian from Chelsea
- 16:53 Chelsea bombshell: Eden Hazard tells friends he wants to join Real...
- 16:53 Ronnie O'Sullivan OUT of World Snooker Championship 2017 after Ding...
- 16:53 Benidorm or bust in car rally for Charnock Richard father son team
- 16:52 Viking battlefield site said to be in Borders
- 16:52 Newcastle United tax raids are 'black cloud on sunshine of...
- 16:52 Bradley Lowery's Sunderland mascot role cancelled as mum shares...
- 16:52 Call for spending limit on whole West Midlands Mayor campaign after...
- 16:51 ‘Caring side of job appealed to me’
- 16:51 Tax fraud probe: What do we know so far? Who has been investigated?...
- 16:49 Airbus secures $6bn Chinese deal for jet....that can take off like...
- 16:47 By George! It’s a cracking bash for patron saint day
- 16:47 Famous Nottinghamshire landmark provides inspiration at one of the...
- 16:46 Seventy years on the job and Monica is still going strong
- 16:46 Residents fear huge college ball will turn Sherbourne into 'party...
- 16:44 Barcelona summer transfer targets: La Liga giants want these stars
- 16:44 Man United Uncovered: Why Mourinho is confident of beating City...
- 16:44 Game guide malware 'targeted more than 500,000 users'