Market gauge of British inflation highest since at least end 2013
A market measure of long-term British inflation rose on Friday to its highest level since the end of 2013 at least as sterling took a dive on growing anxiety that Britain will opt for a "hard" exit from the European Union.
On Friday, the pound tumbled about 10 percent from levels around $1.2600 to $1.1378 GBP=D4 in a matter of minutes in thin early Asian trade.
The currency's weakness, which increases the cost of imports, has fuelled expectations for higher inflation.
The five-year, five-year breakeven inflation forward, a measure of long-term inflation expectations in Britain,... read more
- 13:25 READER LETTER: Parking - New roads come at cost
- 13:24 Big in the USA: Which Premier League clubs attract the most viewers...
- 13:24 Jurgen Klopp has no idea when ‘not happy’ Daniel Sturridge will be...
- 13:24 Antonio Conte has Chelsea playing sensational football and this is why
- 13:24 Anthony Joshua: I will 100% fight David Haye after Eric Molina
- 13:24 U.S. defence chief reassures Afghans amid questions over Trump's...
- 13:24 U.S. Democrats plot uphill fight against some Trump nominations
- 13:23 Ban on junk food ads targeted at children
- 13:23 How Ayeeshia Smith's godmother received death threats after mum of...
- 13:23 WATCH: Song for Christmas - Shelf Junior and Infant School
- 13:22 Funding to boost number of underprivileged students in higher...
- 13:21 Edlington boy torturers granted anonymity
- 13:21 Corrie Mckeague: Mother 'lost faith' in police over missing son
- 13:19 Jurgen Klopp rejects criticism of Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius...
- 13:18 What’s on in Derbyshire this weekend?
- 13:18 Buxton Railway Station mural shows all the seasons
- 13:18 Ban on junk food ads targeted at children
- 13:18 You can donate to the elderly by using Uber tomorrow
- 13:18 Anti-social man banned from Kettering town centre shops for...
- 13:18 Scots pupils are ‘first line of defence’ against cybercrime
- 13:16 Nine things NOT to do at your work Christmas party
- 13:16 Good news for M1 and M62 commuters in West Yorkshire
- 13:15 Slaven Bilic praises Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge: Kop star is...
- 13:15 Liverpool legend warns Jurgen Klopp: It would be wrong to sell this...
- 13:15 Aldi supermarket in Meridian Way badly damaged during attempted...
- 13:14 Santa dream comes true for day trip youngsters
- 13:14 Judge grants indefinite anonymity to brothers who tortured and...
- 13:14 Rod Stewart will be supported by his daughter Ruby at Nottingham...
- 13:13 Is Momentum at war with itself?
- 13:13 HSBC to close Preston branch