Market gauge of British inflation highest since at least end 2013
A market measure of long-term British inflation rose on Friday to its highest level since the end of 2013 at least as sterling took a dive on growing anxiety that Britain will opt for a "hard" exit from the European Union.
On Friday, the pound tumbled about 10 percent from levels around $1.2600 to $1.1378 GBP=D4 in a matter of minutes in thin early Asian trade.
The currency's weakness, which increases the cost of imports, has fuelled expectations for higher inflation.
The five-year, five-year breakeven inflation forward, a measure of long-term inflation expectations in Britain,... read more
- 09:02 Jobs at risk at Carpetright as retailer eyes store closures
- 09:02 Search has begun for new Vaux site contactors in Sunderland
- 09:02 Traffic heavy after A19 crash
- 09:01 Man jumps from Wigan flat to escape arson attack
- 09:01 ‘It was OK, but his mum knocked on the door halfway through’: 10...
- 09:00 Traffic heavy after A19 crash
- 08:58 Woman bullied for her ‘ugly leg’ works as a model to inspire people...
- 08:58 Airbnb launches Edinburgh experiences campaign
- 08:57 Vauxhall Corsa GSi RETURNS - New hot hatch debuts after 25 year hiatus
- 08:57 Power cut hits 170 Doncaster homes
- 08:56 Jobs at risk at Carpetright as retailer eyes store closures
- 08:55 Carpetright jobs under threat as retailer eyes store closures
- 08:54 VIDEO: Hebden Bridge man sees deadly RAF Valley Red Arrow crash...
- 08:54 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho blasts Paul Pogba for Match of the Day...
- 08:54 Barcelona will offer Ousmane Dembele to Atletico because of fears...
- 08:54 Lewis Hamilton is risking his career: Former F1 driver fires huge...
- 08:54 More names added to exciting Slam Dunk line-up
- 08:54 Austin bombings suspect dead - US media
- 08:53 Red Bull duo Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen get artistic as...
- 08:52 Trailer revealed for Pat Phelen's Coronation Street exit - which...
- 08:52 Temporary traffic lights to be in place at busy junction
- 08:51 First trees planted to help save Leeds from flooding
- 08:51 Are you as smart as an 11 year old? Prove it
- 08:51 Emergency services attending incident in Market Harborough
- 08:49 Zoe Ball ‘wishes she told boyfriend Billy Yates she loved him’...
- 08:49 How suspected Nazi war criminal, 96, led secret life in Telford...
- 08:48 Champion cyclist going for gold following road accident
- 08:47 Jobs at risk at Carpetright as retailer eyes store closures
- 08:47 Andrew Brady moves into Caroline Flack’s home just weeks after...
- 08:46 Bagel company launches cheese shampoo and bacon conditioner so you...