Mark Cavendish narrowly misses out at Road World Championship as Peter Sagan triumphs in hectic desert race
Mark Cavendish narrowly failed to win his second Road World Championship title in Doha after being just beaten on the line by defending champion Peter Sagan.
In a bunched sprint finish to the line Cavendish was pipped by the length of the Slovakian's bike after a gruelling 257.5-kilometre ride in searing heat and tricky crosswinds.
Windy conditions in the desert saw the race split with about 80km remaining with Cavendish, and fellow Briton Adam Blyth, among those in the lead group.
RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Sir Dave Brailsford admits errors over Team Sky package... UCI president... read more
- 16:09 'Trumatic and shocking' - Thug stabs victim TWICE at Lincoln house
- 16:09 Residential development plans for 14 homes in North Lincolnshire...
- 16:08 A590 now cleared after two car smash sparked partial closure...
- 16:08 Wrexham teen was standing on the A5 in darkness when she was killed...
- 16:06 Chapecoense fans turn out to watch training as they get a first...
- 16:06 Ashfield’s Community hub set to open
- 16:05 Aston Villa plot move for Premier League striker after missing out...
- 16:05 Red Bull boss speaks out on Valtteri Bottas to Mercedes: This is...
- 16:05 U.N. rights expert criticises Myanmar over Rohingya crackdown
- 16:05 Islamic State car bomb kills five Turkish soldiers near Syria's...
- 16:05 BlackRock says hired former Chancellor of the Exchequer Osborne as...
- 16:05 Investigation into New Year’s Day sexual assault ongoing
- 16:05 Gwynedd lorry crash forces restaurant to close
- 16:05 BT price hike for all broadband and TV users
- 16:04 Man dies after leaving Job Centre despite being found ‘fit to work’
- 16:04 Flood barrier ‘needs to be in place as soon as possible’ says leader
- 16:04 Kiran Daudia: Man accused of murdering ex-wife and dumping her body...
- 16:03 Carlisle carer stole cash from disabled woman she said was a friend
- 16:03 NORTH WEST ROADWORKS: 23-29 January 2017
- 16:01 Residents in Clifton Village call for action over "eyesore" Old...
- 16:01 Marseille table new £26m bid for Dimitri Payet: West Ham to make...
- 16:01 NORTH WEST ROADWORKS: 23-29 January 2017
- 16:01 Osborne to join BlackRock as adviser
- 16:01 Search for man’s next of kin
- 15:59 Labour hopes English nationalism will win them the West Midlands...
- 15:59 How much you could lose if the property market crashes in 2017
- 15:59 LA club experience inspired composer's disco-style piece
- 15:59 Violent protests erupt as Donald Trump sworn in as 45th president...
- 15:59 When is the spring half term? All the key school dates for 2017
- 15:59 Driver failed to stop at crash