Mark Carney hails 'positive' long-term hopes for economy despite growth slowdown
The long-term outlook for the UK economy is positive, according to the governor of the Bank of England, but he said growth was slowing in the wake of the Brexit vote.
Mark Carney said Britain was transitioning from "strong growth to something less than that", while individuals and businesses across the nation were grappling with heightened uncertainty posed by the UK's changing relationship with Europe.
"We had expected in August that the economy would slow materially during the second half of this year, relative to relatively strong growth in the first half of this... read more
- 11:40 Jeremy Hunt calls for investigation into overnight closure of...
- 11:40 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:40 Storm Doris leaves fallen trees blocking Boston roads
- 11:40 Derby County: Aston Villa's weekend opponents under the microscope
- 11:39 High winds cause speed restriction on Scarborough trains
- 11:39 Storm Doris: Can I claim compensation for a delayed flight?
- 11:39 ALERT: Public urged to unplug EXPLODING tumble dryers
- 11:39 VIDEO: The calm before Storm Doris
- 11:39 Frustrations increasing over travellers in Warwick
- 11:39 National Express raises free cash flow outlook on international demand
- 11:39 Eight dead and 20 injured after bombing in Pakistan shopping centre
- 11:39 Spanish club offers women free entry, drink & £85 if they go...
- 11:38 #FlyDSA: “My house to Paris in just three hours - I was amazed!”
- 11:38 Time extension for Pavilion Gardens marquee
- 11:38 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:38 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Health Column: Time to protest as Government is turning blind eye...
- 11:37 Router hacker suspect arrested at Luton Airport
- 11:37 What’s On around Harrogate: Your listings guide for the week ahead
- 11:37 Love a man in uniform? Not if you live in Burnley
- 11:37 Storm Doris develops into ‘Weather Bomb’ say Met Office officials
- 11:37 Burnley has been "misled and let down" by the Government
- 11:37 Safety warning issued over leaking gas hobs
- 11:37 HS2 high-speed rail project passes final hurdle
- 11:37 Man arrested after two women stabbed in Huddersfield
- 11:36 Brits are ditching their polite reputation to become excellent...
- 11:35 Police welfare a priority insist force bosses
- 11:36 EXCLUSIVE: Ronda Rousey has nothing to be ashamed of - Bellator...
- 11:35 If you’re having a crap morning, just look at these polar bear babies
- 11:35 Shadow Housing Minister’s pledge for more affordable homes in...