Marine reserve project leads to doubling in lobster numbers
Lobster numbers in the area around Scotland's first and only fully-protected marine reserve have more than doubled, according to researchers.
The community-led reserve in Lamlash Bay in the Firth of Clyde has seen increased marine conservation, with lobster populations not only doubling but the crustaceans also increasing in size.
Scientists from the universities of York and Bangor have been conducting potting surveys in the area for four years, monitoring the populations of European lobster, brown crab and velvet swimming crabs.
They found the marine reserve - set up in 2008 - has also... read more
- 08:07 Embrace the fear: 15 signs it’s time to quit your job
- 08:07 Police probe claims empty Coca Cola cans 'contaminated with...
- 08:06 Johnston Press flags improvement amid tough market
- 08:03 Nepal asks climbers to clean quake-littered Everest camp
- 08:03 Pensioner at centre of care home dog row could be moving to Cumbria
- 08:03 Court shows mercy for bereaved homeless man after fracas
- 08:03 A612 delays after crash between a car and van
- 08:03 Violet Youens: Man charged over four-year-old's death
- 08:02 Canine capers in the Lake District with new BBC series
- 08:03 Royal Marine Alexander Blackman expresses 'relief' at sentence cut
- 08:03 Flybe cuts capacity and costs due to weak demand, pricing pressure
- 08:03 London attack: Thames women's family overwhelmed by 'love and support'
- 08:02 Cumbria MPs speak out over implications of triggering Article 50
- 08:02 'Bogus' plans for farm rejected by town council
- 08:02 Owner says he's devastated to lose his pet after court orders pit...
- 08:02 Council chief wants JCB at proposed development site to show progress
- 08:01 RISE AND SHINE: All your essential morning info to start the day
- 08:01 Miami Open 2017 results: Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal march on as...
- 08:01 More people are rescued off Cleethorpes than almost anywhere in...
- 08:00 Manchester United target Kieran Tierney impresses Scotland veteran...
- 08:00 Peru 2-1 Uruguay: Luis Suarez unable to help visitors as Paolo...
- 07:57 The morning news headlines: UK set to begin 'momentous journey' to...
- 07:57 If you've booked a package holiday THIS is how Article 50 could...
- 07:56 RISE AND SHINE: All your essential morning info to start the day
- 07:56 French March consumer confidence stable for third month in a row
- 07:55 Fighting crime project backed by police chief
- 07:55 ‘Rail investment must benefit all of district’ - campaign group
- 07:55 Russell Brand and James Corden lead praise for Rio Ferdinand’s...
- 07:55 Amjad Bashir: The big beasts of Brussels may beat their chests, but...
- 07:54 Claudio Ranieri breaks his silence over Leicester sacking