Maria Sharapova SHOCKED in defeat and reveals what went WRONG in Doha disaster
Sharapova looked to be cruising to victory over Monica Niculescu in Doha.
But the Russian let slip a one-set lead to crash out in two hours, 38 minutes.
The defeat was a surprise for the former Wimbledon champion.
And she insisted she has the capacity to still compete deep into matches.
"I thought I did a really good job in the first set and a half, but that's obviously not enough to win the match," Sharapova said.
"I did a good job of winning the longer rallies, even though that's not really what I wanted to get myself into. So physically I felt good.
QATAR TOTAL OPEN... read more
- 07:12 Two Barnsley women due in court today accused of murder
- 07:11 Befriending service for the lonely in Northampton plea for urgent...
- 07:10 Dowson delighted to be part of Boyd's Saints setup
- 07:10 Arsenal star Henrikh Mkhitaryan reveals what he hopes Unai Emery...
- 07:10 Thomas reassures Cobblers fans that off-field issues will not...
- 07:10 Poolies have the power to drive Hartlepool United back where they...
- 07:09 Emergency ‘shock’ measures lined up for Scots economy
- 07:06 Man runs 67-mile heart-shaped marathon around Manchester to pay...
- 07:04 Health column: Athletes must look after their brains
- 07:04 IN PICTURES: Buckingham comes together for the royal wedding
- 07:02 Trains disrupted because of car on railway line in Rotherham
- 07:02 Guest Column: Does social media improve modern life?
- 07:02 Arsenal news: Mikel Arteta eyeing 'new Premier League job' after...
- 07:01 Football team of Northampton man killed in hit-and-run to hold...
- 07:01 Delays and lane closures on M62
- 07:01 Fears of staffing crisis as GPs ‘can only accept urgent patients’
- 06:59 Leader comment: The Scotsman finds Donald Trump’s perfect golf partner
- 06:58 Dad and daughter team up for 400km charity cycle challenge
- 06:58 South Shields teen to receive Duke of Edinburgh Award
- 06:58 Special celebration for heroic war veteran as he turns 100
- 06:58 Driver calls for end to pothole misery after having to replace...
- 06:57 Tetford volunteers show how to clean up
- 06:57 Education Column: Sheffield headteachers have got some tough...
- 06:54 Guest Column: Become a king or queen at the Old Hall
- 06:53 TWO former Chelsea stars on Roman Abramovich's director of football...
- 06:50 YEP's own Connie makes the news as she celebrates 100th birthday
- 06:47 Wayne Bell jailed for neo-Nazi group social media posts
- 06:48 ‘Too much TV’ linked to heart disease and cancer
- 06:47 Extinct butterfly to be reintroduced in England
- 06:48 Dementia patients’ medication prompts care plan concerns