Maria Sharapova drugs ban reduced as Russian is free to compete from April 2017
Maria Sharapova can return to competitive tennis from April 26 next year after her drugs ban was reduced from two years to 15 months.
The Russian tested positive for the banned substance Meldonium at the Australian Open in January and she revealed the news two months later.
The drug had been added to the banned list at the start of 2016 but Sharapova had taken it before each match of the first grand slam of the year.
The International Tennis Federation suspended her for two years before the 29-year-old former world No.1 took her case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Sharapova,... read more
- 18:00 Quick-thinking ambulance staff help avert M6 disaster near Coventry
- 18:00 Mansfield man took claw hammer to pub to protect brother
- 18:00 Teen shoots four, self at American school in northern Mexico
- 17:59 Chelsea Manning decision: Obama under fire for cutting sentence
- 17:59 The opposition view: The lowdown on Wrexham AFC's derby day rivals
- 17:58 Plymouth Argyle fan to meet FA Cup tie 'guardian angels' after...
- 17:56 Drone photography company to pay record-sized fine
- 17:56 Photos show 'weaponised commercial drones' in Iraq
- 17:56 Visual artist Tim Mann to showcase new work in Stamford
- 17:56 'Humiliated' Ben Affleck vows ‘I will NEVER do another interview...
- 17:55 People of Nottingham: Andrea Hall delivers meals to the city's elderly
- 17:55 Popular Long Eaton pub could be turned into luxury houses
- 17:55 How to check if the £2 in your pocket is worth a small fortune
- 17:53 Visual artist Tim Mann to showcase new work in Stamford
- 17:53 Afghan female orchestra faces DEATH THREATS for ‘dishonouring...
- 17:52 Amazing moment Chester Zoo elephant gives birth captured on CCTV
- 17:51 Ben Turner on Burton Albion's recent run of results and the...
- 17:51 Injury-hit Beyond Conceit bound for Cheltenham Festival after...
- 17:51 Mario Gotze questions critics but admits to falling short of...
- 17:51 FIFA technical director Marco van Basten offers up ideas to...
- 17:50 Grand Tudor mansion near Tamworth could be yours for £4million
- 17:49 Hillsborough: Families' justice battle to help Government 'learn'...
- 17:48 Chelsea favourites to sign Premier League star in January
- 17:48 Manchester United transfer agreed: Winger could undergo medical today
- 17:48 Leeds plotting transfer move: They want this man to replace Charlie...
- 17:48 Chelsea want Belgian international: In-demand star has a £86m...
- 17:47 'You eat or you go' Muslims furious as mayor scraps pork-free...
- 17:46 Trump-triggered trading bonanza looks set to continue
- 17:45 Emmerdale spoilers: A cryptic clue reveals a shock character death
- 17:44 1,600-name petition calling for speed cameras on A52 at Bramcote to...