Maria Sharapova can return for French Open after CAS cuts two-year doping ban
Maria Sharapova has had her doping ban reduced from two years to 15 months by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
The 29-year-old tested positive for the heart-boosting drug meldonium in January at the Australian Open and was given a two-year ban by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) in June.
But CAS, sport's highest court, announced it has reduced that by nine months, meaning the five-time grand slam winner will be eligible to play again on April 26, 2017, four weeks before the French Open.
In a statement issued by her agents, the Russian tennis star said: "I've gone from... read more
- 09:05 Arsenal bid for Malcom is 'all hot air', claim Bordeaux as they...
- 09:04 Dashcam footage shows lorry crash on M1 near Fosse Park
- 09:04 Soot build-up blamed for chimney fire in Swaby
- 09:03 Two Birmingham stabbings within just one hour - what we know so far
- 09:02 Carlisle bus passenger attacks driver's cab after argument
- 09:02 Parents who ‘tortured and starved’ 13 children made them march...
- 09:02 Interserve placed 'under government watch'
- 09:02 Isis member’s wife says ‘we all have our ups and downs’
- 09:02 Burglar smashes girlfriend's Astra into parked cars in north Hull...
- 09:01 Traffic watch: The roadworks which could affect your journey today
- 09:01 Paxton project outlined to Rotary Club
- 09:01 Gift you can't eat is a major boost for Doncaster town's foodbank
- 09:00 Our No1 Italian restaurant named
- 08:58 Cristiano Ronaldo to Man Utd: Real Madrid want Jose Mourinho to...
- 08:57 Elderly cyclist left with life-threatening injuries after hit-and-run
- 08:57 Barcelona news: Lionel Messi wants to STOP team-mate from leaving...
- 08:56 So, how about these meaty hoodies?
- 08:56 Weather warning: Snow and high winds continue to batter Yorkshire...
- 08:56 Amber Rose scared about undergoing breast reduction surgery
- 08:56 Snow causes chaos on roads in Calderdale
- 08:55 Hung out to dry by the Carillion fat cats: Up to 30,000 small firms...
- 08:55 Sultan's supercar: One of the Sultan of Brunei’s SEVEN...
- 08:55 FTSE LIVE: Carillion saga rumbles on as Burberry and Pearson take...
- 08:55 Fashion house Burberry sees performance hit by UK sales slide as it...
- 08:54 List of First and Stagecoach bus service changes due to overnight snow
- 08:54 Wigan teenager saluted for helping suicidal man
- 08:53 Rafael Nadal cruises past Leonardo Mayer in straight sets to reach...
- 08:51 How did Donald Trump's physical compare to a standard check-up?
- 08:51 Elderly people across Cumbria enduring 'painful' journeys to hospital
- 08:50 Doncaster set for new swimming pool this year